AutoCAD MEP Wishes

AutoCAD MEP Wishes

Active Contributor
DuckMan
Message 11 of 24 (1,344 Views)

Re: 3D Plumbing Piping

04-14-2006 01:01 PM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
Depends on if you draw lines or virtually build a building.

Not all municipalities allow wet venting
coffeedrinker88
Message 12 of 24 (1,344 Views)

04-14-2006 01:12 PM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
Then do what I have done... write to manufacturers like JR Smith and request that they provide their parts catalog to Autdesk, so they can put things like that in their 3D catalog.

I don't show it, but if it was availble to put in there as a fitting a definitely would start including them.

Then write Autodesk and tell them to put parts like that in their 3D catalog. Which, I assume, it kind the purpose of this forum. But who knows if it gets to the powers that be within Autodesk.
Distinguished Contributor
tobysmith
Message 13 of 24 (1,344 Views)

04-17-2006 10:32 AM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
>Then write Autodesk and tell them to put parts like that in their 3D catalog. Which, I assume, it kind the purpose of this forum. But who knows if it gets to the powers that be within Autodesk.

Actually, those types of requests do make it to us! I am fairly new to Autodesk and I have been hired to manage ABS content, which is certainly no small undertaking. I know there have been several discussions in the past about regarding the amount of available content. We are looking at ways to greatly improve the amount of quality, usable content for MEP design.

Please do contact your various manufacturers and push them to publish 3D catalogs. They have a lot more incentive to do it if users request it.

Some manufacturers have never even heard of ABS so they do not know they should be creating 3D part catalogs. Tell them to get in touch with us and we can help steer them in the right direction.

I am always willing to discuss current content and requests for future items. We will definitely try to get them included as soon as we can. Feel free to contact me directly - toby.smith@autodesk.com - to discuss items in more detail.

We also attempt to maintain a regular presence on these boards to keep up with user requests.

Thanks,

Toby Smith, PE LEED AP
MEP Content Specifier
Mentor
Hugh_Compton
Message 14 of 24 (1,344 Views)

04-24-2006 02:12 AM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
If you would like some simple 3D blocks of standard fittings then also try out Hercule Design (see link below). They are basic 3D solids that can be edited as you like (ie you can add your property data to them). A free trial is available as well as frequent updates. I have attached an image showing on of the models that I have done using the fittings.

---------------------------------------
CAD Resource Site
http://www.herculedesign.com/
---------------------------------------
fdguandique
Message 15 of 24 (1,344 Views)

10-16-2007 03:57 PM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
Is any of the sanitary piping shown on this plan pitching? That is what gets me about doing design work like this. It looks fantastic. I want to be able to do design like this and have productivity increase dramatically. Lets face it by the time I did this floor plan and the risers in 2d it probably would have taken me more than a day, and if I wanted to go back and change it would still take longer because I have to edit a plan and riser instead of just a plan.
kiwi designer
Message 16 of 24 (1,344 Views)

09-18-2008 01:10 AM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
As a "new " plumbing achitect, I am looking for a descent programme that covers 3d plumbing. From the demo's I have seen from 3d HVAC, there is still a long way to go with the development of the programme before it could quick and user friendly
Valued Contributor
CDGOIN
Message 17 of 24 (1,344 Views)

10-14-2008 10:48 AM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
CADPipe http://www.cadpipe.com/ an addon to AutoCAD does a much better job of MEP that MEP2007-2009..

It's also compatible with Microstation. Unlike MEP which they will "Tell you" it is compatible. What they won't tell you is that it is only mostly compatible with 2D, and exporting or importing ABS or MEP 3D models (even with IFC) only sends out pieces of the parts and not the complete drawing. 3DS out is the only way to get your items sent out in fashion that assures the entire model and its info gets out into a translatable file.

Also CADPipe does PLUMBING in 3D the right way with slope and everything.. MEP is overly complicated and buggy. its been 5 years or more with AutoDesk on the ABS/MEP package and its still not much better than Beta Software. Edited by: cdgoin on Oct 14, 2008 5:48 PM
Distinguished Contributor
tobysmith
Message 18 of 24 (1,344 Views)

03-25-2009 08:17 AM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
AutoCAD MEP 2010 (available today) now includes improved capabilities for 3D sloped piping. Hundreds of new content parts (mechanical joint, hubless, hub and spigot, etc) are now included for easily drawing gravity drainage systems.

Numerous other enhancements are included as well. I hope to soon post a new thread in the regular AutoCAD MEP discussion forum which explains things in more detail.

Thanks,

Toby Smith, PE, LEED AP
AutoCAD MEP Product Manager
Active Contributor
Dumfatnhappy
Message 19 of 24 (1,344 Views)

04-15-2009 09:15 AM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
I think that is a fabulous idea Toby as I'm about to emerse myself in the 2010 plumbing abyss not having a chance to use it on 2009. Are there tutorial options besides the help file?

Make it happen!

thanks! Edited by: mikecornelison9962 on Apr 15, 2009 12:15 PM
mykkarp09
Message 20 of 24 (1,344 Views)

08-04-2009 12:54 PM in reply to: *Temporale, Pat
Toby,
Will 2010 have better capabilities in editing the Plumbing Systems Definitions, I am trying to create piping without ticks and pipe sizes.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.