Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire Materials Missing?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MuirEng
533 Views, 7 Replies

Wire Materials Missing?

Hi,

I am hoping someone can fill me in on how/where MEP pulls wire materials and other such properties used in the wire style manager.

I am trying to set up standard wire types for auto wire size calculation, but the drop downs in the wire style manager for material, insulation, etc are all void. It seems that somewhere there should be a table of materials (e.g. aluminum, copper) and a table of ampacities based on NEC.

Does anyone have this working? If you have standard wire styles like ACWU, TECK90 and such is there a way i can get hold of those?

The help files are (as usual) completely unhelpful.

thanks

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
VitalyF
in reply to: MuirEng

Hi,

Does anyone have this working?

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\MEP 2014\enu\MEPContent\USI\Electrical\Devices\WireSizes.xml

...see this file, maybe it will help you understand

Message 3 of 8
MuirEng
in reply to: VitalyF

Well, the file is definitely relevant.

But I don't think my configuration of MEP is working with this file. As I mentioned, the material selections are all void.

Can you give me a hint on how to configure this file?

I checked in the options and did not find anywhere to set the path to the file. In MEP Catalogs (under options) there is no entry for "wire".

thanks!

Message 4 of 8
Pothman

Are you able to use any of the other electrical features? The file is in the location for electrical devices. Are you working in metric units or imperial units? Perhaps you are starting AutoCAD MEP with a metric profile but trying to use imperial units? In that case things could get confused.

Can you attach a screen capture of what you are seeing?

You might also try running a Repair on your install. To do this, open the control panel -> select Uninstall a Program -> select AutoCAD MEP 2014 ->  select Uninstall/Change -> select Repair or Reinstall and select Repair.

Dave Pothier

Message 5 of 8
MuirEng
in reply to: Pothman

screen shot attached. This is from a blank drawing, started using imperial template. Only three wire styes avaiable, plus the standard. I tried to create a new style but all the drop downs are empty.

Other electrical stuff seems to work okay.

Will consider running repair but want to back up the system first...

Appreciate the support!

Message 6 of 8
VitalyF

Sorry, you didn't try to press?

WiresMaterial.gif

Use Style Manager to open other wire styles 

WiresMaterial_2.gif

Message 7 of 8
MuirEng
in reply to: VitalyF

Of course I did. Those drop downs are all empty. Clearly the wire style manager isn't drawing information from that XML file in my installation.

I'll try the repair option as suggested.

Message 8 of 8
MuirEng

Repair seems to have restored the link between the style manager and the XML file.

thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report