Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's new in MEP 2011?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Mark_Richards
783 Views, 22 Replies

What's new in MEP 2011?

Just received notification that MEP 2011 is available for download on subscription.

Anyone know of a new features list? Can't find one on the AD website.

Too much work to install the upgrades unless there is a significant new feature to take advantage of.
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
aekblade
in reply to: Mark_Richards

I cannot find anything either.
Message 3 of 23

Attached are some screen grabs from the New Features Workshop in AutoCAD MEP 2011. These are just bullet items without description. Most are self explanatory. I'll answer questions and see what documentation we may have available.

Summary:
Lots of work on CONDUIT!!!
Nominal Diameters
Parallel Conduit
Conduit With Real World Parts and Dimensions
Routing Preferences for Conduit
Conduit Add moved to Property Palette

Sloped Piping
Male - Female Fittings with direction controls
Parallel Piping
Routing Enhancements like splitting transitions into Concentric and Eccentric, splitting laterals from wyes
Justification is now remembered on all objects

All new features from AutoCAD Architecture.
Ex: Project Navigator improvements and better Windows Explorer integration

Most new features from classic AutoCAD.
I think you guys are going to love the new modelspace and UI improvements.
Hatch Improvements
Polyline Improvements
Lots more

Joshua Benoist PE
Autodesk Product Support
Message 4 of 23
HVAC-Novice

It doesn't crash and starts up properly, unlike 2010.
that to me is the biggest improvement.

It seems they incorporated all the subscription-advantage extensions as regular features.

One bug I found so far:
when entering multiline text it automatically makes it much bigger (and I made it not be annotative). My workaround is that when I need 4'big letters, I enter the size as 0.1" or whichever works out. Edited by: kschindel@cityofmadison.com on Apr 1, 2010 7:12 PM
Revit version: R2024.2
Message 5 of 23

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, I never use the conduit / piping modules.

No revamp of the panel scheduling? Bummer. Still hoping for editing /adding circuits on the fly.
Message 6 of 23
mainline

on subscription center when i click "download your update" the only one available is 2010. Why?
Message 7 of 23

Hello Joshua

I am on the subscription page but I only see Autocad 2010 MEP. Is there something I am doing wrong. I have been looking for the last 3 or 4 days but I can't see the AutoCAD 2011 MEP.

Do I need to do something special to see it on the subscription page?

Thanks
Elliot
Message 8 of 23

Elliot, Mainline,

AutoCAD MEP 2011 for Revit MEP Suite, has not been released yet. It will be available with the Revit MEP Suite when that is released. The download link for AutoCAD MEP 2011 for Revit MEP Suite, will become available at that time.

Joshua Benoist, PE
Autodesk Product Support
Message 9 of 23

When will the Revit MEP Suite be available? Is there a 30 day demo of Autocad MEP I can install in the mean time? I use Revit about 1% of the time and I don't want to wait.
Message 10 of 23

Joshua

Thanks for the information.

Elliot

PD

This message was posted here by mistake.

Thanks Edited by: ELLIOTCORREA on Apr 11, 2010 6:14 AM
Message 11 of 23

Joshua

Thanks for the information on the suite package.

Thanks
Elliot
Message 12 of 23
kenzco

Still, Pipe fitter's are ignored.
No reducing threaded fittings.
How is it that an urealistic arrangement of - Fitting to nipple to reducing coupling to acheve a smaller threaded pipe size accurate?
Autodesk, when will this be included in our really expesive programs? I brought up this concern with the 09 program only to be told that the update might contain this feature. nope. then I asked when 2010 was released, no, it's update, nada. 2011 ?? this is getting frustrating that a ribbon UI is considered more important than accuracy of objects.
Message 13 of 23
mrose12228

I'm running 2011 and noticed it's the same with copper tees. There's no reducing tees. I would hope AutoDesk could at least developed reducing branch tees. If AutoDesk really wants to developed content that actually used in the field they'd create 3 way reducing tees so you can control main,run and branch sizes like Cadmech has. Installing full size tees with reducers never happens in the field because we use reducing tee's it's a shame we can't draw what gets installed not to mention taking up extra space in the model for un-necessary fittings.
Message 14 of 23

I will be happy to collect any lists of pipe fittings you feel should be added to the product, here at Autodesk we are continuing to improve our content selection and with 2010 and 2011, the focus was on the Gravity System Pipe content, for which we have added approx 1000 new fittings.

If you have specific requirements and associated cut sheets / manufacturers please send them along, i will be happy to collect them and send them along to the content team. I cannot say when they will be added, but customer requests are considered a high priority.

Thank you

Gregg Stanley [Autodesk]
AEC Division
gregg.stanley@autodesk.com

Gregg Stanley
QA Analyst
AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 23
Thucker

MEP 2010 has been driving me nuts for the last 8 months or so. So far, from what I've read, MEP2011 is looking a litlte more promising. Everyone in my office is waiting for a service pack for 2011 before we all make the switch.

I think Autodesk should sit down with a experienced plumber and ductwork/sheet metal worker and get a list of all the common fittings they use. I design and layout ductwork and plumbing systems all day long and some of the common fittings are not availble in the catalogs. For example, copper reducing tees. This part is not available in MEP2010. So in order to make the reducing tee, I'd have to use a straight tee and a reducer. This isn't really that big of a deal, but we use our mechanical CAD files with Naviswork for BIM cordination. We often work with high tech medical offices, and labs, so space is very very limited. I can show a tee with a reducer and make it work in the coordination. When in reality, my plumber who does the installation will use a reducing tee. This would shorten the transition at the tee and will affect the piping downstream or upstream of the connection. Transitioning offsets for ductwork would be nice too, for the same reasons.
Message 16 of 23

We regular survey customers (plumbers, HVAC, etc) to gather information regarding the application and the content. the number one complaint over the last 2 releases was the inability to layout gravity piping systems, so we focused in on that group with a new approach to laying out piping with Angle of Deflection and extensive sanitary content. We try to get all the content needed, but we are not 100% perfect.

We do however, provide a way for users to create their own content thru Content Builder (Manage Tab Conent Panel) or Parametric Part Wizard on the Home Tab Tool Panel Drop list.

In the Parametric Part Wizard we supply Template parts that allow you to fill out the required dimensions and store the part in the catalog.

If you are a bit more of an advanced user, you can go directly into Content Builder and create Parametric fittings, and equipment to your specifications. You can also open up existing content and save it to a new part family and edit the values / parameters to meet your specifications.

Again, if you have a specific list of fittings that you think should be in the application please send them along (Mfg and Cut sheets are very appreciated).

Thank you,

Gregg Stanley [Autodesk]

Gregg Stanley
QA Analyst
AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 23
mrose12228

Gregg,
I scanned these pages from Mueller Brass Co catalog. I tried to find something similar online but found everything but what you need to build these fittings. We built some of this for our Coade Plant software on an as-needed bases. You need to add the cup depth data + the fitting take-out table dimensions to build the reducing tees. As you can see it's a huge task. I'd start with 2 way reducing tees (just the branch reduces) before tackleing the 3-way reducing tees( reduce the branch and the run).
By the way great job on the sloped pipe Cast Iron content. Good by Cadmech.
Message 18 of 23
kenzco

Good Morning Greg -

In your response to my post you requested what pipe fitters require as far as fittings.

please see the attached zip file in which includes PDF's of a good general spec for Cast Iron fittings. These are for the most part typical, which different manufacturers try to maintain similar dimensions. I personally have been using MEP from ABS 2007 thru MEP 2011 AutoCAD has not paid enough attention to this section of content.

Additionally in a previous attempt to achieve a resolution to this issue in 2009 I received a content add-on from an AutoCAD associate which was under-developed (which he admitted to) and I was not given instruction how to implement them. I am including this also in the Zip file attachment to help your efforts in developing MEP 2011 to include these and further develop the Cast Iron content offerings.

Respectfully Submitted!

kenzco
Message 19 of 23

Thank you for posting the information I will pass it along. Please feel free to email me directly if you have more content suggestions.

Gregg Stanley [Autodesk]
gregg.stanley@autodesk.com

Gregg Stanley
QA Analyst
AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

And those of us who have been griping about the gravity systems are most
thankful, plus the auto insertion of wyes to boot! We found that use of
content builder and catalog editor have provided a lot of what we were
missing. Yes, it took a little time to get what we wanted, but the good
thing is that once done it is finished. I have my original catalog from
Building Services release 1 just upgraded. I actually have carriers from
the old Softdesk product. We have had our complaints, but overall, we are
happy with where Autodesk has been going.

Just wanted to provide a positive note for a change.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost