Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to use MEP only as AutoCAD

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
robyn.henke
926 Views, 9 Replies

Want to use MEP only as AutoCAD

We have a copy of AutoCAD MEP that we wish to use only as straight AutoCAD, without any 3D capabilities.

I am having trouble installing it.  In the past, I have been instructed to make sure that the AutoCAD Profile is checked and to then navigate to the program folder and place the acad.exe shortcut onto the desktop.

Neither of those have worked.

Even when I import a profile and make it current, when MEP is restarted, it reverts back to the MEP profile.

With the install of 2013, I tried unchecking the AutoCAP MEP Profile, but got a message telling me some fuctionality would not install and advised against it.

Any ideas, suggestions??

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Keith.Brown
in reply to: robyn.henke

You can always force Autocad MEP to load with the Autocad Profile by right clicking on your Autocad MEP shortcut and selecting properties.  Then in the Target box  you should have something that looks like the following:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD MEP 2012\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD MEP 2012\AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD MEP (US Imperial)"

The /p is telling Autocad MEP to start with the AutoCAD MEP (US Imperial) profile.  If you change this to "Autocad" then it will start with the Autocad Profile.  This assumes that you have a profile named Autocad and it is the profile that you want.

P.S.  If you run the setup program again and add the Autocad Profile it should add an icon to your desktop with the profile already set.  If it doesnt, just follow the steps above to get it to work. It is possible that you have the add the icon to the desktop function uncheck when you are rerunning the setup program. Make sure to expand all the options and verify that it is checked.  I would also copy the shortcut and make those changes to the copy and not the original.  That way you can always restart MEP with the MEP Profile when needed.

Message 3 of 10
robyn.henke
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks!  I did notice that when comparing our AutoCAD to AutoCAD MEP target information.

Thanks you!

Message 4 of 10
robyn.henke
in reply to: Keith.Brown

This is actually what the Target property has for my AutoCAD MEP:

"E:\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\acad.exe" /ld "E:\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD MEP (US Imperial)" /product "MEP" /language "en-US"

Not too sure what to change here, as MEP is mentioned several times.

Message 5 of 10
sbrennan85

The easiest way that I find to do it is during pre-installation. Do a custom installation and in there you'll see an option for desktop icons, change AutoCAD to add a desktop icon.

Message 6 of 10
robyn.henke

I have been trying that, checking AutoCAD desktop icon since version 2000 and it has NEVER installed an AutoCAD icon on the desktop.  It does install an AutoCAD XXXX folder in the Program Files and when I try using the acad.exe in that folder, all I get is errors and the program crashes before it even gets a chance to start.

I am in contact with Autodesk support right now trying to get this resolved.

Everyone has all these great ideas, but when I try them, nothing.

So frustrating!

Message 7 of 10
sbrennan85

That's definitely a strange problem.  I'm the exact opposite, for the past 4 years I've been doing that and I get both an AutoCAD icon AND an AutoCAD MEP icon, and both launch fine.  Although I've now customized my ribbon so I see only what I want, and a lot of the traditional AutoCAD commands I enter manually via keyboard.

Message 8 of 10
robyn.henke
in reply to: sbrennan85

Strange, I can stump the best!  Have been able to for 12 years!  Smiley Indifferent

Thanks for your help though!

Message 9 of 10
eb
Community Visitor

I have just changed server which created a new Profile for my PC and now when I use my shortcut ( which used to launch Autocad ) it now launchs MEP !

I did lose my ACAD Profile and spent a while copying bits over from my old PC Profile, everything seemed ok until I exited and tried to fire up at a later point.

Have read this thread and checked my target which is set as :

"C:\Program Files\AutoCAD MEP 2010\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD MEP 2010\AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD"

It seems that this SHOULD launch Autocad - any suggestions

Message 10 of 10
robyn.henke

Sorry, I have no ideas or suggestions!  I am still having the problem and it is so frustrating we have stopped using AutoCAD MEP.

The only other suggestions I received from Autodesk Tech Support was to install the program as an admin and that did not work either.

Good luck though and if you come across a solution, please let me know!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost