Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title Block border - Sheet Set Fields <> Block Attributes

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mdhutchinson
454 Views, 6 Replies

Title Block border - Sheet Set Fields <> Block Attributes

So I am preparing for rollout of 2016 to our detailers.

For 20 years plus I've created drawing borders as an attribute block... it's seemed the way to do it for a long time now.

However, I was looking at the out of the box Sheet Template - Aecb Sheet (US Imperial Ctb).dwt file.

There are no attributes incorporated here, the text are of simple MText, with Fields.

I have done Fields as part of the Attributes value... then when the user clicks to edit the attributes 

So why is Autodesk doing these as loose MText with Fields instead of Attributes with Fields?

What are the pros and cons to using loose MText with Fields?

What are the pros and cons to using Attributes with Fields?  I believe they work the same... do they not?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: mdhutchinson

You don't want the user to modify the fields in the drawing. They are being controlled by the sheet set manager and should be modified via sheet set properties.
Message 3 of 7
mdhutchinson
in reply to: Keith.Brown

What you are saying makes complete sense... but didn't even slightly answer my question.

Perhaps you could clarify your response. How does having the fields in loose mtext prevent the user from editing them?

... having them in Attrubutes doesn't do this either.

Message 4 of 7
Keith.Brown

It does not.  Preventing the user from editing them is completely on the shoulders of the cad manager.

Message 5 of 7
mdhutchinson

I'd like to see if perhaps someone could answer my question.

Why loose Mtext instead of Attributes inside an block definition?

Message 6 of 7
Keith.Brown

Well i thought i answered it.  When it is a block you can modify the attributes via the property palette.  Standard Autocad stuff.

If you follow the recommended workflows for Autocad Architecture and Autocad MEP you will be using the sheet set manager.  With the sheet set manager you manipulate the properties of the sheet via the sheet set properties.  So you do not need a block with attributes.  There is no need for changing the value of the attributes via the property palette.  Instead you will use the sheet set manager.

This was more than likely changed in the autocad architecture and mep templates as soon as the project navigator was created.  The sheet set manager is integrated into the project navigator so it is easy to use.

Autocad has always has the block attributes and the sheet set manager is not integrated into the program like it is with autocad arch and mep so they saw no need to change it.  That being said there is no reason why you cannot switch out your block attributes with fields with mtext with fields.  It is just a personal preference and not really any underlying reason for it as for as I understand.

Message 7 of 7
mdhutchinson

If it is just personal preference... mine would be a block with attributes for two reasons.

1. Changing the properties, layer, style, etc. is less likely.
  2. Moving the attribute's location can be restricted. 

It appears both can work with Sheet Set properties equally well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost