Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag by X-REF name

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
pierce.reynoldson
2127 Views, 9 Replies

Tag by X-REF name

I am working in AutoCAD MEP 2014 and I want to create a tag that displays the an x-ref's name. I could not find this attribute definition. Also, I am very inexperienced with CAD tags and attributes.

Background: I have a plan containing multiple x-ref'ed facade panels and I want to tag those panels on my plan. The xref'ed file name = the x-ref name = the panel type = what I want to tag.

Thank you in advance.

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pothied
in reply to: pierce.reynoldson

Yes, this can be done. You basically need to create a property set that applies to Block References and add an Automatic property for the Block Name.

BlockPropertySet.png

BlockPropertySetDefinition.png

You can then create a piece of text using Mtext with the property set name and the propery name with a colon inbetween. In my example, the text would read Block:Name since my property set definition is named Block and the property is Name. Make the text 1" high. Do this is a new drawing that you can save somewhere so it can be used as your source for the tag.

Next use the DEFINETAG command and select the text when prompted. You can also include a box or other graphics if you want in the tag. Change the type to Property, the Property Set to Block and the Property Definition to Name and select OK. Select an insertion point and your tag should be defined. 

BlockTag.png

Once this is done, you can drag the tag to a Tool Palette and you should be able to tag your xrefs (or other blocks) with this tag.

I'll also include an old Autodesk University document that describes this process starting on page 24. The difference is that the command to define the tag isn't where it says it is any longer (in fact I could not find it in the ribbon) but you can still use it by typing DEFINETAG.

Hope this helps.

David Pothier

Message 3 of 10
VitalyF
in reply to: pothied

I think there is an easier way, because tag can mark objects through x-ref!

Use a standard tag for tagging panels?

Message 4 of 10
pierce.reynoldson

Thank you for this very detailed response. I just have a couple questions about the last steps.

I created the new style and property definition. Then defined text as tag. I didn't understand how to do the last step to "drag the tag to a Tool Palette." I also, had trouble finding the tag - I assume it lives in the tags section of the annotation tab.

Message 5 of 10
pierce.reynoldson
in reply to: VitalyF

How do I do that?
Message 6 of 10
VitalyF

Сan attach your examples?

Message 7 of 10
Pothman

The DEFINETAG command should convert the text into the proper blocks and MVBlocks required for the tag. Once the command is done, you can just save the drawing, pick the tag and drag it onto a palette. I will attach a sample drawing with my tag (which I created with a poor insertion point) to this post. Also, I created a Chronicle video showing the process that you can watch here:

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/02cfd3a0-90fe-4247-a092-de8bc0dcc400

Dave Pothier

Message 8 of 10
pierce.reynoldson
in reply to: Pothman

Thank you. Now I get how you add the tag to the palette.

The tag works just as advertised.
Message 9 of 10
Keith.Brown

@pothied wrote:

I'll also include an old Autodesk University document that describes this process starting on page 24. The difference is that the command to define the tag isn't where it says it is any longer (in fact I could not find it in the ribbon) but you can still use it by typing DEFINETAG.

Hope this helps.

I found the DEFINETAG command on the ribbon where it has always been in MEP 2015, 2014, 2013.  I did have the HVAC workspace loaded up.  Since the home ribbon is different for each workspace it might be possible that it was removed from your workspace ribbon?

DefineTag.png

Message 10 of 10
Pothman
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Ah - the help file just lists it in the wrong place. It is there for AutoCAD Architecture but in a different location for MEP.

from the help:

click Annotate tag -> Scheduling pane -> Create Tag.

Dave Pothier

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost