Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Swimming Pool Plumbing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
stevenson53
3107 Views, 6 Replies

Swimming Pool Plumbing

Hi There,

I was wondering if MEP can generate a 3D drawing of systems like the attached?

I currently draw these just in 2D using blocks I have made over time and would like to move to 3D over time.

In particular I would like the fittings etc to look something similar which is what they look like in real life.

It's all uPVC pressure pipes.

Thanks

Paul 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
379-28243183
in reply to: stevenson53

Paul

Yes you can do this but you are starting from scratch.

You'll need to create your own catalog for pipes and associated fittings.

I've done this and found it very difficult.

I create pumps and filters etc using mass elements. This works OK but it does not give you an 'intelligent' system.

The attached drawing shows what I am doing. It may look a bit strange as you are not seeing it in context with the building. In this case everything is in a service floor void. The coloured pipes and fitting are MEP pipes and mass elements form the pumps. The greyed out pipes are all mass elements created in Autocad architecture before I started using MEP.

I'd recommend one to one training for guidance on creating your own catalog. I had this and still struggled but I can get by.

Although you are not seeing in the attached, I have the building created as a 3D model using Autocad architecture. Extensive use of xref files allows me to coordinate services with building elements.

The key is training to start off correctly- once you start creating 3D plant layouts you would never go back to 2D

Bob

Message 3 of 7
stevenson53
in reply to: 379-28243183

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for the feedback, I appreciate it!

I'm actually a design engineer and design right onto drawing so I'm not a fully trained CAD operator although I am reasonably competent in 2D and have 2D blocks for everything.

I can see 3D starting to creep into tenders, REVIT in particular and I thought that this or AutoCAD 3D might help me too so hence my enquiry.

The AutoCAD MEP just seemed to have lots of intelligent drawing blocks etc but I couldn't find pressure pipes which were the right size with thicker fittings like your 3 D drawing and my 2D drawings and that is what I was looking for.  Like, a 100mm Dia pipe in MEP dimensions as an ID of 100mm instead of 110mm OD.  It's a pity really and I don't expect that I have the skills/time to start from fresh.

I like the idea of doing 3D and can easily see that I will be a convert!

Any other thoughts please?

Thanks

Paul      

Message 4 of 7
379-28243183
in reply to: stevenson53

Paul

I think your route to get into 3D drafting will be dictated by your employment status.

I'm a one man business so the transition from 2D to 3D was quite elongated. I had to keep the 2D stuff going to earn a living so used spare time to develop into a 3D world what I was doing in 2D.

My business is building design so I started out using ADT then Autocad Architecture. A lot of my work is high end swimming pools so I had a continual need to coordinate services early in the design process. I could do it with the ACA but it was not efficient. The natural transition for me was to start using MEP as it is so similar to ACA.

I did consider Revit but that would mean non productive time again during transition which I just couldn't afford.

If I was in your position I would do some serious homework on Revit and MEP ie interogate serious users to try and make an informed decision as to what suits your anticipated needs most.

Best wishes

Bob

Message 5 of 7
stevenson53
in reply to: 379-28243183

Hi Bob,

I'm a one man band too with some sub-consultants as required.

I only do swimming pools, mostly big ones, Olympics, Commonwealth Games etc.

Thanks for your advice and will have a serious think about the way forward as suggested.

Cheers

Paul

Message 6 of 7

This thread is very useful to me as i was looking up for the solution of same problem for my pool remodel sarasota. Thank you so much:)

Message 7 of 7

my pleasure, what goes  around comes around!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost