Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right way to Export AutoCad MEP for use in Navis

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4677 Views, 8 Replies

Right way to Export AutoCad MEP for use in Navis

I am using Autocad MEP for mechanical piping systems (grooved, copper, buttweld).  I'm involved in a BIM coordination where the client is using Navis to combine the different trade's work.

If the client tries to import my dwg file directly, it shows up as single line.  My current work around is to export my file as a 3D DWF (dwfx).  Which works to an extent, but the client is having issues with it at his end.  It imports in as rotated on the x-axis, it doesn't always auto-update correctly when a new dwfx file is given, and the whole model is selected rather than parts.

I understand there is an 'NWDOUT' plugin command for Autocad for those that have Navis.  But I don't have Navis.

What is the best way of saving or exporting an AutoCad MEP file for best importing into Navis when 'NWDOUT' is not available?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Anonymous

There are two likely scenerios that are causing the problem.

Scenario #1:  The client has their navisworks options setup incorrectly for use with your autocad mep settings.  In Navisworks in the options dialog under file readers - dwg/dxf options there is a checkbox that should be unchecked.  Use ADT Standard Configuration should be unchecked.  If checked this will force navisworks to load your model as if the model was in the standard display configuration.  Unless you have modified this display configuration, it will display as single line.  Unchecking this option as in the pic below will allow navisworks to display your model as intended.

DWG Options.jpg

Scenario #2:  The client has done the step listed above and your drawing still displays as single line.  In this case, you do not have your drawing in a 2-line display configuration.  Out of the box the MEP Basic 2-line will achieve this.  This is the setting that you should be in when giving your dwg to the client.  MEP Design will show the pipe as it is defined in your system definitions.  If in your system defintions your pipe is defined to be single line at a certain threshold then having your display configuration in MEP design will reflect this.  MEP Basic 2-Line will force your pipe to always show up in a 2-line display.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Keith, thanks so much for the quick response.

I had tried saving my file in several different display settings and views, thinking that Basic 2-Line was the best. But we were always getting the same result on the the Navis end.

I will ask the client to check his file reader options and see if that works.

Thanks Again

Message 4 of 9
awitt

Did you try NWCOUT? Then your client should only use that NWC file and make sure the DWG can not be found by Navis. Otherwise it will change the NWC back to the lines.

Message 5 of 9
Keith.Brown
in reply to: awitt

The original poster doesnt own a copy of navisworks.  They could of course download the exporters then they would have access to nwcout.  The original poster would then have to go into the exporter options using the command nwopt and make sure to uncheck the Use ADT Standard Configuration otherwise the NWC out's that they create would also be single line.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I actaully didnt know there was a free exporter until today.

But then I wouldn't have known about the NWOPT command. so good to know.

Thanks again to all..

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Another option for export as a model for compiling in Navis is to put your model in isometric view and saving or WBLOCK, saving the file as a dwg file but with the 3D model objects visible. Be sure to use a team agreed reference point (grid coordinates) for verifying the model comes in at the right registry. I used to have to do that but this later version or possibly owning Navis now allows export without the isometric view.

Message 8 of 9
Keith.Brown

One last method that I forgot to mention was to use the convertto3dsolids command to convert all of your mep items to basic 3d solids.  This will of course remove all of the intelligent information from your model but in a pinch this will also work.  Interestingly enough, it actually produces a better looking navisworks model.  The 3D solids display better.  Mirrored MEP objects look awful inside of Navisworks but for some reason converting them to solids will allow them to display correctly.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith.Brown

This command is very strange.  CONVERTTO3DSOLIDS ruins the grooved piping clamps.  They look like you're seeing the other side of the clamps, like you're looking from inside the clamps.  The pipes and elbows look alright, but the clamps are jacked up.

Very strange.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost