Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish to PDF problems MEP 2015

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
justin.evans
2263 Views, 15 Replies

Publish to PDF problems MEP 2015

Every time I use the publish command to batch plot multiple sheets to PDF, nothing happens.  In the Plot and Publish Details log, there are ERROR: Device not found messages. Has anyone else had this problem or found an answer?

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
dbutts7
in reply to: justin.evans

Are you using the DWG to PDF pc3 file, or are you printing to an Adobe PDF print that's setup on your system?

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat, try installing CutePDF, and set it up as a printer, then print to it. It's free, and this sounds like a printer device error, so try this first.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Engineering Technology Manager - Gannett Fleming

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
phishintrip007
in reply to: dbutts7

Just so I don't have to start a new thread,

We are having serious issues publishing in 2015 from multiple machines. Here is a sample plot log (exact same setup, same machine, just plot command vs. publish):

Job: - Error(s) Did Not Plot

Job ID: 4
Sheet set name:
Date and time started: 10/13/2014 8:52:44 AM
Date and time completed: 10/13/2014 8:52:48 AM
UserID: jwells
Profile ID: jwells MEP2015 10-13-14
Total sheets: 1
Sheets plotted: 0
Number of errors: 1
Number of warnings: 0

Sheet: 14078T001-T-001 - Error(s) Did Not Plot

File: D:\PROJECT\2014\14078 Construct Bin-Wall Revetment HERD\DWG\Mech\14078T001.dwg
Category name:
Page setup: oce 12x18 ncs
Device name:
Plot file path:
Paper size:

ERROR: The current device does not support the requested media size.

Job: - Plotted

Job ID: 3
Sheet set name:
Date and time started: 10/13/2014 8:52:25 AM
Date and time completed: 10/13/2014 8:52:27 AM
UserID: jwells
Profile ID: jwells MEP2015 10-13-14
Total sheets: 1
Sheets plotted: 1
Number of errors: 0
Number of warnings: 0

Sheet: - Plotted

File: D:\PROJECT\2014\14078 Construct Bin-Wall Revetment HERD\DWG\Mech\14078T001.dwg
Category name:
Page setup:
Device name: Oce (12x18).pc3
Plot file path:
Paper size: Oce B+ 12x18 in (Portrait)

The successful "Plot" uses the same exact routine to "Publish" but as you can see the publish did not plot nor does it look like any of the needed information (device name, paper size, etc.) was sent with the publish. Not sure where autodesk broke the publish function. Any ideas?

P.S. feel free to do at least the slightest amount software testing before the release (PLEASE!!). There are all kinds of errors the IT guy is finding that is just poor code writing. I am 100% behind a release every two years instead of every year if you could just release a decent version that wasn't full of issues and needing a service pack. Some of us happen to be small businesses that don't have endless amounts of capital to be your software QC.

Message 4 of 16
dbutts7
in reply to: phishintrip007

OK first item - check the page setups in the publish command - where are they coming from, another drawing or the current drawing? Both of these should display the same name, to get the same results. When you launch Publish, check this and make sure it's the same source.

Let me know if this is the case, and I'll run the test. If possible, attach the drawing and let me try it on this end.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
phishintrip007

Page Setup is EXACTLY the same in both. I can plot the one file using the page setup and publish the same one file using the same page setup. Plot works, publish fails.

Another issue on another machine is publishing to pdf. It will only publish the first file. We publish to pdf, set up the path, single sheet file, all the same page setups (taken from the first sheet) and we get 1 file. It is not a multisheet file, just one file containing the first sheet in the list.

Message 6 of 16
dbutts7

OK, post the file and let me test it out -

thanks - db

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
phishintrip007

attached.

Message 8 of 16
dbutts7

can you post the title block as well? Would help to have the whole picture -

thanks!

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
phishintrip007

attached

Message 10 of 16
dbutts7

OK, even without the titleblock, the publsih and plot commands both worked. I changed the PC3 to the default DWG to PDF.pc3 that ships with the program, and was able to create the file with no issues.

I also noticed you're using an OCE plotter - back in the day many years ago, we used to sell OCE's and they were a bit twitchy when it come to plotting to PC3 files - sometimes you had to use the system printer to get one print size, and in other case you have to print to one of their driver settings.

Try this - change the page setup to print using the defautl DWG to PDF drive, and see if you still get the same error. OCE's take PDF's very well, and we had switched to those a while back for consistency.

Let me know if you can get me a titleblock (strip out anything you don't want me to see), and if you have a couple more files in the project I can use to test the multiple sheet option.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
phishintrip007

first of all the pdf issue is a separate issue on a separate machine with completely different job. I guess I should of explained that so I apologize.

So, I am not trying to publish to pdf currently. I am trying to publish to Plotter named in Page Setup. Now, this is the same plot routine/page setup that works in 2014 on the same exact set of files on the same machine to the same plotter. In fact, it is the same everything that has worked and we have been using since ACAD 2010. It has worked in every version until 15. I originally posted the log file because as you can see, When I plot it is transmitting the plotter name and sheet size but I publish it is not which may or may not be the issue, just something I noticed while trying to figure this out.

I just published this file + a few others and selected DWG to PDF and I had no problem (with the same page setup). All files were there and looked correct. Then, I changed it back to Plotter named in Page setup and ERROR: The current device does not support the requested media size. But the log does not show that the device name or a paper size were specified. 

I am going to recreate the pc3 file from scratch and see if the issue resolves itself. Because I should have to do that every time I upgrade versions? Just like I have to recreate any customizations and profiles every time I upgrade versions because the app that copies over your profile and customizations is about as worthless as rubber lips on a woodpecker. It just gets really old spending 2-3 days fixing bugs and recreating everything on every machine when we upgrade. And it is senseless things like this.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Don't want to start a new thread.  I am having multiple problems with plotting to pdf.  First the excel files in the drawings are not showing up in the pdf, they show up in the preview and print to a network printer fine.  When calling tech support they suggest to pdf the excel file and then insert into the dwg. this works but is a hassel and can't edit the pdf like a excel document as an ole. 

Second, the pdf's from my lenovo laptop lines come out screwed up.   I installed adobe pro trial and the pdf is better.  Are there settings that I am missing in AutoCAD that I need to set?

Thanks,

Autumn

Message 13 of 16
dbutts7
in reply to: Anonymous

OK. let's get back to the top...

Autodesk includes an internal PDF driver you can use to print drawings, the DWG to PDF.pc3. I't srare that I've ever seen this plotter config screw up a plot, since it's just a basic printer. Just make sure you're using the one provided with the software release you're using for AutoCAD. That way, you have the latest version..

There are other options - the best is to buy a copy of Adobe Acrobat, which includes a full printer configuration, that lets you control paper size, orientation, etc.

But if you don't want to spend that kind of money, try using the CutePDF driver - I use it at home, and it prints nested items like linked images and spreadsheets just fine. You can find the print er drivers here:

http://cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Once you get this loaded, try it out first and see just replacing the printer with either the DWG to PDF, full adobe printer or cutePDF fixes the issue. Let me know if it doesn't, and I'll have a new set of questions for you.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

I am using DWG to PDF.pc3 and it isn't working.  I have used this for years with straight AutoCAD, and thought there were differences between the programs.

I have downloaded CutePDF, and installed a trial version of Adobe Pro which works better. 

Is there a place I can copy the driver DWG to PDF.pc3 on line?  Maybe the one on the software disk is corrupted.  I have this installed on two machines, and both are not working correctly.

Thanks,

Autumn

Message 15 of 16
dbutts7
in reply to: Anonymous

OK, a couple more questions - what is the operating system you're using?

Do you have admininstrator control over the computers you're using?

Where are the PC3 files stored - in the default location, or somewhere else on the computer/server?

I've attached the one off my system that's been working fine.

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

Great.

I do have administration rights. 

All files in the options panel are in default.  C:ProgramData is first refered to, and when I go to find the file it doesn't show up on my explore.  I then tried to make a file named ProgramData and it says there is already a file named this.

Operating system

8.1/ Lenovo W540

2013 MEP 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost