Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property set definitions

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
zvoma
509 Views, 2 Replies

Property set definitions

I have one property set definition called Space and then I have two classification definitions. The two classification definitions are almost identical. They consist of a list 1-100 where one list contain the full length name of a room and the other a shortening of the name. For example: 001 HALLWAY in list 1 and 001 HALL in list number 2.

This is what I want to accomplish:

1) In properties I want to have two rows, one with the full length name and one with the shortening.

2) When I assign a space the classification 001 Hallway, I want to automatically assign the corresponding value from classification definition “shortening”, in this case 001 Hall.

Is this possible?

I am using AutoCAD MEP 2014

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Keith.Brown
in reply to: zvoma

Displaying the long version in a property set is pretty easy.  Just create a classification property set definition and it will display the classification that you assign.  Displaying the second classification is not so easy.  Autocad MEP does not automatically assign user classifications.  You have to manually assign all of your classifications unless you are willing to undertake some custom programming.

That being said you could get the result that you want with scrapping the second classification and instead creating a formula based property set definition that reads your classification property set definition and then  displays the correct shortened version.  The switch statement would help here.  Although with 100 items it would be a big switch statement and I am not sure of the performance impact on the rest of your drawing including export to Navisworks.  Complex property sets cause issues with exporting to navisworks and the time it takes to generate a navisfile.

You might be better served just adding both classifications at the same time and then creating two classification property definitions to read them.

It might also be possible using vba in a formula property set but I am not that familar with the MEP vba model.

It is certainly possible using the .net api.  I am doing basically the same thing in some of my programs.

Message 3 of 3
zvoma
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Your reply answered my question. Since the property sets are a part of a plugin the only way to do it is to send the request to the developer for them to implement the feature.

However I resolved my problem using list definition with all the shortenings and a function in property set data that basicly says if the shortening property is empty use the full length name property.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost