AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

Reply
*BFA, Nick Fuller
Message 1 of 6 (115 Views)

Profle Frustration in 2004

115 Views, 5 Replies
07-14-2003 03:59 AM
I have AutoDesk Building Systems 2004. I still need to be able to save down
to 2000 by default. I followed the fairly lengthy instructions posted on
AutoDesk's website on how to set this up to the letter (create a profile,
change some settings, blah, blah, blah...). I do this and then things happen
like some elementary functions don't work, for instance Mtext, Match
properties, etc. I found by trial and error that one of the Profiles out of
the box "Building Systems", when it is made current it works but then I cant
save to 2000. I tried several things loading up various menu groups under
various profiles. Some I can get the Building Systems menus to work but not
Mtext and such. Other attempts I've made has resulted in Mtext, matchprops,
etc. working, I can save to 2000, but Building Systems menus don't work. Has
anyone had to go through setting up to save to 2000? Is there a way to merge
various profiles to create on big beautiful profile? Any help would be
greatly appreciated, should I just start over and throw away my computer?
LOL.......
Employee
jason.martin
Posts: 182
Registered: ‎08-21-2003
Message 2 of 6 (115 Views)

Re: Profle Frustration in 2004

07-14-2003 04:43 AM in reply to: *BFA, Nick Fuller
Hi Nick - as you have found out, disabling items so that you can saveas 2000, well, disables some items. At this time there is no way to have all of the functionality of ABS and be able to save to 2000 format. The tech doc explaining on how to make that work "plans" on you working in your standard ABS profile then running that one to do a "saveas" then going back to ABS to work. What is the "most" problematic portion of the Export to AutoCAD functionality that is keeping you from using it?
*BFA, Nick Fuller
Message 3 of 6 (115 Views)

Re:

07-14-2003 05:09 AM in reply to: *BFA, Nick Fuller
I am a user that must work both within and outside
the office along side users on 2002 and below. The xref binding issue is the
ultimate killer. Do you have a recommendation for what to set up within a
profile or two that I guess I can switch back and forth between?


style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hi
Nick - as you have found out, disabling items so that you can saveas 2000,
well, disables some items. At this time there is no way to have all of the
functionality of ABS and be able to save to 2000 format. The tech doc
explaining on how to make that work "plans" on you working in your standard
ABS profile then running that one to do a "saveas" then going back to ABS to
work. What is the "most" problematic portion of the Export to AutoCAD
functionality that is keeping you from using it?
*[Autodesk], jason martin
Message 4 of 6 (115 Views)

Re:

07-14-2003 05:14 AM in reply to: *BFA, Nick Fuller
Hi Nick -

Did you know that if you unload (not detach, but just unload) the xrefs they
don't get bound into the drawing? The xref's will need to be reloaded in the
"exported" drawings, but at least they won't be bound?

Does that help, or should we look at setting up multiple profiles?

jason

"Nick Fuller @ BFA" wrote in message
news:AFDF7871AA3B969C5571514DFEA3BC34@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I am a user that must work both within and outside the office along side
users on 2002 and below. The xref binding issue is the ultimate killer. Do
you have a recommendation for what to set up within a profile or two that I
guess I can switch back and forth between?
> "jason.martin" wrote in message
news:f17750e.0@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi Nick - as you have found out, disabling items so that you can saveas
2000, well, disables some items. At this time there is no way to have all of
the functionality of ABS and be able to save to 2000 format. The tech doc
explaining on how to make that work "plans" on you working in your standard
ABS profile then running that one to do a "saveas" then going back to ABS to
work. What is the "most" problematic portion of the Export to AutoCAD
functionality that is keeping you from using it?
*BFA, Nick Fuller
Message 5 of 6 (115 Views)

Re:

07-14-2003 05:29 AM in reply to: *BFA, Nick Fuller
Unfortunately, that does not help, multiple profiles will be the route to
follow. I don't mind having to switch back and forth. I complain pretty load
but I'm fairly impressed with the latest release thus far. If you could give
me some insight as to how to set the profiles to how I need them I would be
in debt to you.

I need to be able to draw in Building System 2003 with all functionality
(Mtext, matchprop, the whole works. I also notice that I lost the design
center as well)

I need to be able to saveas not export - to AutoCAD 2000

I need to be able to on occasion draw architectural aspects for the purposes
of generating backgrounds (floor plan x-refs)

I need to be able to use my express tools, I have grown dependant on them.

Any Ideas?

"jason martin [Autodesk]" wrote in message
news:32F12E821356FD7D9DC7B6F1CA39AA8C@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi Nick -
>
> Did you know that if you unload (not detach, but just unload) the xrefs
they
> don't get bound into the drawing? The xref's will need to be reloaded in
the
> "exported" drawings, but at least they won't be bound?
>
> Does that help, or should we look at setting up multiple profiles?
>
> jason
>
> "Nick Fuller @ BFA" wrote in message
> news:AFDF7871AA3B969C5571514DFEA3BC34@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > I am a user that must work both within and outside the office along side
> users on 2002 and below. The xref binding issue is the ultimate killer. Do
> you have a recommendation for what to set up within a profile or two that
I
> guess I can switch back and forth between?
> > "jason.martin" wrote in message
> news:f17750e.0@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Hi Nick - as you have found out, disabling items so that you can
saveas
> 2000, well, disables some items. At this time there is no way to have all
of
> the functionality of ABS and be able to save to 2000 format. The tech doc
> explaining on how to make that work "plans" on you working in your
standard
> ABS profile then running that one to do a "saveas" then going back to ABS
to
> work. What is the "most" problematic portion of the Export to AutoCAD
> functionality that is keeping you from using it?
>
>
*[Autodesk], jason martin
Message 6 of 6 (115 Views)

Re:

07-14-2003 06:03 AM in reply to: *BFA, Nick Fuller
OK, I'm going to assume that you can get back to the basic ABS functionality
as it shipped (if not, then we'll need to do some other stuff).

Creating the architectural profile is easy, because it's already there...

Just create a copy of the icon that launches ABS

The current target will be something like

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk Building Systems 2004\acad.exe" /t "Aecb Building
Model (Imperial - ctb) 4.dwt" /p "Building Systems" /ld "C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AecBase40.dbx"

Change it so that it reads

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk Building Systems 2004\acad.exe" /t "Architectural
Building Model and View (Imperial - ctb).dwt" /p "Architectural Desktop" /ld
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AecBase40.dbx"

Now we have an ADT profile

Let's open the ABS with the ADT profile and start from there.

Once ADT is open go to Format-> Options -> Profiles Tab and create a new
profile (Add to List) called AutoCAD 2004. Now highlight the new AutoCAD
2004 profile and click Set Current. Go to the Open and Save tab. In the
ObjectARX Applications are (lower right) set the demand load ObjectARX apps
to Disable Load on demand. Click OK on options and close AutoCAD. Type Menu
and load the acad.mnu file.

Now copy the ADT Icon and change the target to read

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk Building Systems 2004\acad.exe" /p "AutoCAD 2004"

Now you have an AutoCAD profile that will allow you to save as 2000.

Another option to save as 2000 is to simply turn filedia to 0 and run saveas
then specify 2000 on the command line (it's not an option, but it works) and
then specify the file name and turn filedia back to 1.

hth

jason

"Nick Fuller @ BFA" wrote in message
news:3AE8A963D1A088176CC3A3745F097BBF@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Unfortunately, that does not help, multiple profiles will be the route to
> follow. I don't mind having to switch back and forth. I complain pretty
load
> but I'm fairly impressed with the latest release thus far. If you could
give
> me some insight as to how to set the profiles to how I need them I would
be
> in debt to you.
>
> I need to be able to draw in Building System 2003 with all functionality
> (Mtext, matchprop, the whole works. I also notice that I lost the design
> center as well)
>
> I need to be able to saveas not export - to AutoCAD 2000
>
> I need to be able to on occasion draw architectural aspects for the
purposes
> of generating backgrounds (floor plan x-refs)
>
> I need to be able to use my express tools, I have grown dependant on them.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> "jason martin [Autodesk]" wrote in message
> news:32F12E821356FD7D9DC7B6F1CA39AA8C@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Hi Nick -
> >
> > Did you know that if you unload (not detach, but just unload) the xrefs
> they
> > don't get bound into the drawing? The xref's will need to be reloaded in
> the
> > "exported" drawings, but at least they won't be bound?
> >
> > Does that help, or should we look at setting up multiple profiles?
> >
> > jason
> >
> > "Nick Fuller @ BFA" wrote in message
> > news:AFDF7871AA3B969C5571514DFEA3BC34@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > I am a user that must work both within and outside the office along
side
> > users on 2002 and below. The xref binding issue is the ultimate killer.
Do
> > you have a recommendation for what to set up within a profile or two
that
> I
> > guess I can switch back and forth between?
> > > "jason.martin" wrote in message
> > news:f17750e.0@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > Hi Nick - as you have found out, disabling items so that you can
> saveas
> > 2000, well, disables some items. At this time there is no way to have
all
> of
> > the functionality of ABS and be able to save to 2000 format. The tech
doc
> > explaining on how to make that work "plans" on you working in your
> standard
> > ABS profile then running that one to do a "saveas" then going back to
ABS
> to
> > work. What is the "most" problematic portion of the Export to AutoCAD
> > functionality that is keeping you from using it?
> >
> >
>
>
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.