Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIPE SYSTEM LAYERS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1547 Views, 6 Replies

PIPE SYSTEM LAYERS

Perhaps I should dig on my end more or search as this may already be answered, but I am so short on time and am getting myself confused in MEP settings. For some reason, today when I draw pipe and set the system to HWR or whatever, it defaults to layer 0 instead of M-P-HHWR which is our standard layer for the layer key style.....does anyone know where i need to go to reset this so when i draw the pipe and/or duct it will automatically go to the layer designated on the layer key style?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello kayrondad

That's funny, I always read your name as "Crayon Dad". Ha Ha.

Anyway, you need to edit that particular Piping System Definition.

Step 1: Select Desired Pipe Style.
Step 2: Select Edit System Definition button in the contextual ribbon.
Step 3: Check the Layer Key setting.

Please review the attached image.
Message 3 of 7
Martin__Schmid

A few other things to check in your layering setup:

Enter the command AecDwgLayerSetup
Make sure the Layer Key Style is not set to
Make sure the style that is selected actually exists in the file defined by the Layer Standards file specified at the top of the window.
And, lastly, make sure Always import layer key style is checked.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I just did this a month back. I had to create like 15-20 piping systems (to match the services listed on the P&ID's we were working off of).

I had to go to Style Manager, and under Multi-Purpose Objects, then under Layer Key Styles, then MEP Object, I went and made layers that pertained to each system, each being pre-fixed by "M-SY-PIPE-".

Then I went and made a system for each, and assigned them each their own respective layer. I found that if you mistakenly place a pipe on the wrong system, it'll easily change to the proper layer when you toggle it to the correct system. I have found that if you do Match Properties, it does not seem to do this, it'll change the layer, but not the system, and if you have enough piping ran this is extremely difficult to detect after-the-fact.

Worked like a charm, except for the hiccup with Match Properties. Although, I am using 2009, this may not be the case with 2010, I'm not sure until I get there.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

yeeee dagggggy!! Martin, you my best friend forever now!!! that totally worked and my life is a tad bit less stressful!!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

MSRoble33 - this is totally working fo rme....started creating job specific styles and such....getting easier to use! thanks for the help.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Awesome!!!

I'm glad it worked out for you.. 🙂

Worked like a charm over here, little bit of work upfront, but made for a smoother ride afterwards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report