Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Fittngs

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
535 Views, 11 Replies

Pipe Fittngs

How do I add more fittings to show in the Pipe Part Routing Preferences?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

An example of this would be the Ductile Iron Pipe & Fittings, thanks for the help.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

I haven't done much customization with pipe routing preferences, but I know that to add more fittings for ducts, you need to check the part's AutoLayout Flag.

If the fitting you want to add already exists in AMEP, you just need to go through Content Builder and open the part's options, check the AutoLayout Flag, and save the part. This should allow the part to show up in the Part Routing Preferences box. However, you need to be careful with the AutoLayout, since sometimes parts that are automatically inserted don't behave the way they would if they were manually inserted (once again, based on my experience with ductwork).

Let me know need any help with the Content Builder/Flag part. If the part you want doesn't exist, then there is a tutorial available through the Autodesk website that teaches how to make custom pipe fittings.

Cheers,
-Brad
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Is there a tutorial on how to do this somewhere?
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Download the tutorials from here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=9493064&linkID=9240935 and then check out the Content Tools Tutorial.

I'm pretty sure it takes you through how to build a custom pipe fitting in there. Even if you're not interested in making your own fittings, it should introduce you to editing parametric parts using the Content Builder, and how to change their options.

-Brad
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I don't want to build new fittings, I am looking to set fittings that are already drawn to be the default, ie set the duct iron pipe and fittings to be the default fittings
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Ok, then you're going to need use the Content Builder to modify the existing pipe fittings that you want to be included as an AutoLayout option.

Perhaps the easiest way to explain how to do this is to go to http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/dusting-off-the.html and watch the video titled "Adding Eccentric Round to Rectangular Transition" Even though the video deals with changing duct transitions to be eccentric, the process is nearly identical for what you're wanting to do.

Just follow the same clicks as he does to open the Content Builder (note: if you don't have the CAD Manager pulldown, it's under Window > Pulldowns > CAD Manager).

Then browse to the pipe fitting you want to modify (you'll need to change the Part Domain pulldown at the very top to Pipe), and click the Modify button like he does.

This should bring open the fitting along with an additional sidebar on the left side of your screen.

Like in the video, click the Options button at the top right of the sidebar, but then check the AutoLayout Flag box and click OK. (If the AutoLayout Flag is already checked, then chances are the part you want is already in the AutoLayout list, it's going by a different name.)

Be sure to click the Save Part Family button at the top left of the sidebar, and close out.

For good measure, you may as well go ahead and regenerate your part catalogs (CAD Manager > Content Editing > Regenerate Catalog).

Then check your AutoLayout options again and with any luck, your desired part should now be in the list.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to do this for each fitting you want add, as I don't think there's an easy way to change multiple fittings at once.

Also, there may be a good reason why Autodesk didn't include the part as an AutoLayout option, as sometimes the parts don't behave the way as desired in AutoLayout mode.

Good luck,
-Brad
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Swing and a miss, the AutoLayout Flag is checked, any other ideas?
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

If the flag is already checked, then chances are it's already in the list. It just may be going by a different name than you're expecting.

Which part(s) are you trying to add and to which routing preference?
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

I copied "Generic Threaded" and made a Sanitary Sewer and the part is "Threaded-Sch 40 Long Sanitary Tee"
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

tgarman wrote:
> I copied "Generic Threaded" and made a Sanitary Sewer and the part is "Threaded-Sch 40 Long Sanitary Tee"

Since you copied the original, the new part may have the same Part ID as
the original in which case it won't show up. I don't immediately recall
the proper way to change the ID on the new part but I know its been
covered in these news groups.
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

If you test the catalog it will give you a part id
number to use if there are duplicates.  Then just open the XML file for the
part and change it in there.  At least that is how we do it.  We found
it a lot easier changing things in the xml files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost