Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Degrades over time

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
smbrennan
628 Views, 10 Replies

Performance Degrades over time

I'm running AutoCAD MEP 2015, Windows 7 Pro.

Dell Z420 Workstation

• Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6GHz 
  • 40GB DDR3 Memory
  • AMD FirePro V4900 1GB (Certified & Recommended - in the process of downloading driver from Autodesk as I type this)
  • 7200 RPM HDD
  • Hardware Acceleration is ON

I am working with files that are what I consider to be large in size (compared to other files I've worked on in ACAD MEP). The largest file is just under 35MB, but includes xrefs from files almost just as large. All of the files have 3D Solid, Conduit, and Structural Members.

It appears that the files are bogging the system down after a period of time, and I have to restart AutoCAD a couple of times a day. A task as simple as panning becomes can become a 2 minute wait.  Another user in my office also working on this project is having the same issue (same system, but 16GB DDR3 Memory).

Is this normal? I surely thought this system would be equipped to handle relatively large and complex models.

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
VitalyF
in reply to: smbrennan

Hi,

Your project is located on the server? 

Have you tried to work on a local disk? If yes, how do you see the difference in speed?

Vitaly

Message 3 of 11
smbrennan
in reply to: VitalyF

Yes, the files are located on a file server. No other processes run on the server. The performance issue isn't during open/saves/auto saves only. 

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 4 of 11
VitalyF

To exclude server as the cause of the brake,

try to open the project from the local disk to compare

Message 5 of 11
smbrennan

I'll have to test that on Monday. I'm near the end of the day and usually this time does see significant lag - I haven't used my computer nearly as much today as I have in the past. 

But, just in a proactive sense - what if it's NOT the server? Then what? 

Shawn B.

|   
Message 6 of 11
VitalyF

... Then there is little chance to rectify the situation
Maybe somehow simplify the model, for example to convert Schedule table to  AutoCAD table, etc..

...Use one system in one file...

Message 7 of 11
Pothman

There are many things that can contribute to slow files. Certainly a 35 meg file with additional xrefs is going to be somewhat slow. You can try adding more memory to the machine and that may help.

Also, you want to check your files for any corruption. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/AutoCAD-File-Corruption

Perform an AUDIT on the file

Purge Regapps

-PURGE Regapps * N

Try to limit how many viewports are in the drawing. AutoCAD has to regenerate every viewport so the more viewports the slower it will be.

If you are in 3D views, try to stick with the shademode of 2D Wireframe 

Also make sure that you check all xref files for corruption as well.

Dave Pothier

Message 8 of 11
Pothman
in reply to: Pothman

Message 9 of 11
VitalyF

Hi,

Additionally try to convert the arch plan to DWF Underlay

>>Pothman

I have no problem with the performance, i do not have 35 mb files... ))

Those links that the above have long been known, they are not much use...

Message 10 of 11
smbrennan

Ok here is some more information (in no particualr order).

• Just to restate, this doesn't happen first thing in the morning. As the day progresses, performance suddenly goes down the drain - literally upon opening a single file. It's not always the same file either.
  • All files are located on a file server. I copied files to the desktop when performance has degraded, and it still runs slow.
  • Audits have been performed on a regular basis.
  • Service Packs have been since release installed.
  • Confirmed Certified & Recommended Drivers/Hardware.
  • These files are 3D Model data only. No schedules, tables, tags, etc.
  • Shademode is typically 3D Wireframe.
  • Typically no more than 2 viewports. Plan & Isometric.

I am in the process of applying the -purge R * N to all drawings. I will see how this affects performance and update with results.

Shawn B.

|   
Message 11 of 11
smbrennan
in reply to: Pothman

Pothman - 

Thanks for that. I think the -Purge Regapps did the trick! I applied that a week ago on all of my drawings, and I haven't noticed the issue at all this week.

Shawn B.

|   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost