Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MvParts Lose Connections

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
dlewis
296 Views, 1 Reply

MvParts Lose Connections

I am having a problem with my custom MvParts that I have created losing thier connectors.  When I insert them into the drawing the pipe connectors are there and I can add pipe to them however after some time and I quite pin point when the MvPart will no longer have any connections and thier will be open pipe ends at the part.

I am working remotely on a network and other people are accessing the file that do not have the same catalog as my local machine and I think this may be causing the issue but not sure?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it is not practical to keep replaceing my MvParts everytime this happens especially when there are hundreds of instances of some of them.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Keith.Brown
in reply to: dlewis

dlewis wrote:

I am working remotely on a network and other people are accessing the file that do not have the same catalog as my local machine and I think this may be causing the issue but not sure?

If they are accessing the same CAD file as you and they do not have the same catalogs then that should not be the issue unless they are trying to modify the part and they do not have the same part in their catalog.  If they are not trying to modify the part then it should not be a problem.  Once inserted the part lives in the drawing along with its styles and associated property sets.

Is it possible to share the catalog part?  The dwg, bmp, and the xml.

Also as a final note if everyone is working in the same company then they should really all be using the same catalogs.  Take this scenario.  Someone takes an existing catalog and copies the catalog to their local machine.  They then make a dimensional change to the part and start using it in their drawings.  When either you or them are both working on the same drawing and they use the modified part then problems can arise.  The drawing will store the first part that is inserted into the drawing and all remaining parts that are added will be identical to the first added part even if it is from a different catalog with different dimensions.  This is because AutoCAD MEP stores the style and blocks associated with the part into the current drawing and reuse those stored items upon every insertion after the first. 

This is just one scenario that I can think of.  To make a long story short if you are working in a multi-user environment then your catalogs should be networked and everyone should be using those catalogs instead of local catalogs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost