AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

DRWICK
Message 1 of 2 (187 Views)

Multi-tap for panels

187 Views, 1 Replies
04-08-2009 08:00 AM
I am bringing out a 3 phase feeder from the distribution panel to a transformer. The feeder will then go into a trough and tapped to feed 3 panels. I can connect each panel to the distribution panel through a transformer, but each panel will end up with its own 3 pole circuit breaker in the distribution panel. I need to figure out how to connect all 3 panels back to the distibution panel utilizing (1) 3 pole circuit breaker in the distribution panel. The only way that I can think of is to connect each panel to a "fake panel" inserted in left field and then to have that panel connected to the distribution panel. This was the 3 panels will show up as a single load in the distribution panels panel schedule.

Please help!!
Distinguished Contributor
tobysmith
Message 2 of 2 (187 Views)

Re: Multi-tap for panels

04-08-2009 11:04 AM in reply to: DRWICK
At this time, our transformers (which are MvParts) do not support electrical loads. In order to accomplish what you want, you should insert a panel with (3) 3-pole circuits. This will serve as the transformer to which you'll connect the other three panels via the trough. Then, all you need to do is connect that transformer/panel to one 3-pole circuit in the distribution panel.

You can easily replace the panel blocks in plan and model to look like a transformer as well. Just insert a transformer MvPart off to the side and explode it. Update your "panel" blocks to use the transformer blocks to achieve the desired look in plan and model views and erase the exploded transformer blocks.

While not an ideal solution, it should work for your purposes. Supporting electrical loads on MvParts is a wishlist item we hope to tackle soon.

Hope that helps,

Toby Smith, PE, LEED AP
AutoCAD MEP Product Manager
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.