Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling flex duct systems

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
wethead
475 Views, 1 Reply

Modeling flex duct systems

I'm a little baffled on how to model a simple small flex duct sytem for a residence.

In the DUCT FITTINGS out of the box selections I have not seen a simple round T-WYE fitting.

For example, I have a 14" flex trunk line.  As in a real world situation I would like to insert 14x14x10 T-WYE.  I don't see this in the duct fittings, take-offs or anywhere else.

There is an enormous amount of choices for Bull (True) Tees, but not a simole WYE with the takeoff at a 30 or 45 drgree angle.  Is it necessary to create a custom duct fiting for this?

Am I missing something?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: wethead

The "Tapered Body Lateral Wye US" accurately models the wye fittings from the manufacturers where I work. Unfortunately, it won't allow you to model a straight length of pipe (non-reducing) with a tee. A quick and nasty solution to approximate the fitting you want is to use a straight length of duct in which you manually insert a standard "Round Duct Takeoff." Once inserted, right click on the takeoff and select "Duct Fitting Properties" and select the "Takeoff Position Tab" (you wont see this tab if you pulled the takeoff from the duct, it has to be inserted through the catalog/tool palette). From there manually change the Z-axis value to 30 or 45 degrees. Using the parametric part wizard or creating your own fitting from scratch will look a lot better and be more accurate. The type of fitting you want has even been overlooked by a few of the 3rd party software vendors. On a fitting like yours the vast majority of the time you're going to reduce the leaving end, so I guess not many people see the need for it. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost