AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

gettyprojector
Message 1 of 3 (293 Views)

MEP distance constraints

293 Views, 2 Replies
10-31-2012 08:47 AM

Hi, I've been given a DWG that I need to use for my project. Unfortunately, the object is very, very far away from the origin. I've thought of two ways to solve this but I can't seem to figure it out.

1. Move the objects to the origin.

2. Reset the origin to where the objects are.

Option 1 seemed easy enough, but I needed to move the objects about 8,000,000'. That's not a typo. 8 million feet. I use the move function, but then it always puts me at a weird distance. Is there a constraint on how far you can move objects? For example, I would move the object 8m feet, but then I would measure it out with 'distance' to be at 6m feet. It always gives me a different value.

I do not know how to go about proceeding option 2.

Please help!!

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 2 of 3 (284 Views)

Re: MEP distance constraints

10-31-2012 02:05 PM in reply to: gettyprojector

You can copy the item using the insertion point as the basepoint and then paste it at 0,0,0.  Then you can delete the original item.  Use the clipboard copy and not the copy command.

Keith Brown AutoCAD MEP BLOG | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 | Revit 2014 | EastCoast CAD/CAM V6.1 | Visual Studio 2013
────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate. Thank you!
gettyprojector
Message 3 of 3 (281 Views)

Re: MEP distance constraints

10-31-2012 02:42 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

You are talking about ctrl+c and ctrl+v? That way doesn't allow you to choose a base point, but the 'copy' function doesn't allow you to specify coordinates for base points. Is there another copy and paste you are referring to?

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.