AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

Benno1986
Message 11 of 17 (2,190 Views)

Re: MEP 2011 - fine at first, but very, very slow after a few weeks

09-30-2010 03:16 PM in reply to: SteveR...

I am running AutoCAD MEP 2011

This program is running Very slow.

On Windows XP 32 bit, I could open a drawing no issues (apart from low memory errors).

I then switched to Windows 7 64 bit (same PC) and the drawing wouldnt have memory errors, but it would take approx 3-5 minutes to open, and 3 minutes to switch between paper spaces.

The specs for this PC were

Intel Quad Core 2.66gHz

4GB Ram

Nvidia Gefore 9600 GT

I then convinced my company to supply a new PC with a Quadro card, thinking that it was the GPU that could not process quick enough.

My new PC is

HP Z400 PC

Intel Zeon 2.56 gHz Dual Core

9gb Ram

Nvidia Quadro FX580.

And I am having the same issues.

Initially I thought it could be true type fonts, Though I changed all fonts back to a standard CAD Font, and the same issues are still there.

Is there any soluition available for this??

Cheers,

Ben

bcusano3
Message 12 of 17 (2,087 Views)

Re: MEP 2011 - fine at first, but very, very slow after a few weeks - Solution

10-13-2010 08:40 AM in reply to: cgbe

worked for me!!!

Barry

Slacker247
Message 13 of 17 (2,019 Views)

10-20-2010 11:15 AM in reply to: Benno1986

Ok just installed 2011 2 days ago.  After using for 1 day I noticed the file sizes where getting stupidly large.  A 70MB file in 2010 becomes 250MB in 2011 with out adding pipe or fittings, just adding pitch to lines and general fixed. 

Then trying to find out just what's going on.  I open same 250MB file backup in 2010 and save with out so much as zooming in or out.  File size get reduced by 100MB or so.

So my problem is keeping file size down,  because when it get 100MB and over it starts taking me over 3 min just to save,  open, or close file.

To make sure that I am perfectly clear the size of the file is not a concern as far as hard drive space as it is a performance issues a big one. 

Peace

Chinery

Chinery
Pipefitter/Welder/Plumber
Mechanical Cad Operator
UA Local 190
“We do it right, the first time.”
EMTEHVAC
Message 14 of 17 (2,005 Views)

10-20-2010 11:29 PM in reply to: Benno1986

I have had the same problem, files originall size was 8 mb and when i change view (zoom and rendered view) go to 600 mb or more, of course with some draftners working in the same server, the network run very slow.

cgbe
Message 15 of 17 (1,729 Views)

Re: MEP 2011 - very slow - Fixed

12-03-2010 04:47 PM in reply to: EMTEHVAC

2011 was useless on my dell m6500 with 8 gig ram , i7-820 processor and m2800fx

slow, crashed etc.

one day I stopped looking at it as acad problem and looked at it as a windows problem

Windows 7 has indexing, outlook has indexing, there is the aero graphics...  and then all the extra services running...

I killed outlook indexing.  I killed windows search indexing, and followed the instructions on these websites to speed up windows 7.  XP has the same problems BTW.

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

http://www.computingunleashed.com/speed-up-windows-7-ultimate-guide-to.html

and finally I ditched the NVIDIA performance driver which stopped 98% of the crashes.    2011 mep works now problem free for the last 10 days.  3d mouse works,  not as good as 3D connexion but it works,  does not crash and is usable.   2011 will never be a race horse, more like tired coal pony, and I will go back to 2011 as soon as I can, but for now I need to use 2011 and I can.

Cheers and I hope this helps you guys.

Active Contributor
mark.silcock
Message 16 of 17 (735 Views)

11-22-2011 07:47 PM in reply to: SteveR...

I was having big trobble using 2011, alt-tab between open files wouldnt work it would go into not responding mode then send me back to the original drawing i was in.

Tried new drivers etc and no improvement.

What i did try that has made a big impact for me is turn off hardware acceleration. Which goes against the grain but maybe the CPU can do a better job than overpriced Quadro cards.

try and see if it helps.

Contributor
_Lemmy_
Message 17 of 17 (714 Views)

11-29-2011 06:53 AM in reply to: SteveR...

Hi,

What im posting generally applies to environments where you are accessing files off a network server.

We've been dealing with a Autodesk "bug" in MEP 2011 and 2012 that causes high network traffic between a windows 7 and a windows 2008(r2) server.

In a nutshell, workstations connecting to the server cause high network traffic causing overall access to be slow. Autodesk is aware of this bug, but as of yet nothing has been released.

specifically, this is tied to SMB v2 between the workstation and the server. There is a workaround to disable SMB v2 on the server and workstation. This was not an option for us because of all our other servers. I've been told there is an alpha patch available, but have not tested it yet.

as a sideline, our general experience with slow files are linked to improperly setup drawings, specifically with drive mappings that are in the drawing but no longer available.

some links: http://blog.jtbworld.com/2011/06/sheet-set-manager-performance-issue.html

here is  more information

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/06/network-performance-issue-when-using-smb-ver-2.ht...

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.