AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

jbluemke
Message 1 of 5 (612 Views)

MEP 2010 Pipe Fitting Issue

612 Views, 4 Replies
01-20-2010 11:42 AM
I'm having a big problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue with this, and maybe even a solution. In MEP 2009 the pipe connectors with placed at the edge of the fittings, so we custom made actual size Charlotte Pipe fitting since Autodesks fittings are not to true size. Now, In MEP 2010, the pipe connectors are on the inside of the fitting, where the bottom of the hub would be. MEP 2010 also changed the pipe connector locations on my custom fittings. With this change in connector locations, you can't connect fittings hub to hub, or place a street fitting to another fitting. This is VERY frustrating. We use our drawings to produce pre-fabrication drawings, so exact fittings and pipe cut lengths are extremely important. Anyone else having this problem? I've tried everythig I can think of and have not found a solution. HELP!!
dacamp
Message 2 of 5 (612 Views)

Re: MEP 2010 Pipe Fitting Issue

01-21-2010 09:29 AM in reply to: jbluemke
You can use the Content Builder and change the engagement length (CEL1, CEL2, etc.) for a fitting, e.g., a value of zero will put the connector at the end of the hub. I like the connector at the bottom of the hub, because that's the way pipe actually sits in a hub. For a street fitting, set CEL1 to zero and change the socket outside diameter, D1, to the pipe diameter rather than hub, to make a true street connection that fits inside a hub.
Employee
gregg.stanley
Message 3 of 5 (612 Views)

01-22-2010 06:31 PM in reply to: jbluemke
AutoCAD MEP 2010 uses the CEL value to determine if the connection is male or female (CEL = 0.0001 or 0 is male CEL = larger than 0.0001 is defined as female). Since a hub x hub connection cannot really connect without a small section of pipe, this is no longer allowed. The intention is to represent the real world connections. If you have custom content that you want connected even though the connectors are really female, change the CEL to 0 and run redefinefromcatalog. this should fix the issue. The command updates parameters in the current drawing from the defined parameters in the catalog. Certain parameters like nd, d, etc do not update, but CEL and AOD should.

Gregg Stanley [Autodesk}

Gregg Stanley
QA Analyst
AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Distinguished Contributor
INTOOCAD
Message 4 of 5 (519 Views)

12-30-2010 12:40 PM in reply to: jbluemke

This is obviously an old post, but the only one I can find regarding the same issue I am having. I have created a PVC flush style reducer. Not to insult anyone, but would like to explain what it is in case there is someone that has another solution I could try. 

It is a reducer that will fit into a socket fitting and leave a socket connection for the smaller sized pipe. So a 4"x2" will have a 4" spigot end (plain pipe) that fits into a 4" socket fitting, and will have a 2" socket left for the pipe to continue from.

I have my connection1 set to be the spigot end of my fitting and the CEL1 is set to 0.0" it is listed as a plain end connection under the pipe domain.

Connection 2 is set to the socket end of the fitting and the CEL2 value will vary according to size, it is listed as a glued connection under the pipe domain.

I am trying to get this to be placed in the autorouter function  and have had no luck.

And also tried to get it to place if I change the line size of a run of pipe, but again no luck what so ever....

I have added a screen shot of my setting in the content builder for reference....

Any help/suggestions would be greatly apprecaited!!

Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 5 of 5 (512 Views)

12-30-2010 01:54 PM in reply to: INTOOCAD

Make sure that you click the options button in the upper right of your picture and set the autoroute flag.  If this is not set, then you cannot use autoroute to place your fitting.

Keith Brown AutoCAD MEP BLOG | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 | Revit 2014 | EastCoast CAD/CAM V6.1 | Visual Studio 2013
────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate. Thank you!
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.