Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linear Dimensions problem (1 was not parallel to the ucs)

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
peterchristie1938
9060 Views, 16 Replies

Linear Dimensions problem (1 was not parallel to the ucs)

I am having problems placing and then adjusting linear dimensions. When trying to adjust the leaders I get a "1 was not parallel to the ucs" error and cannot make any adjustments.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

was still looking for a fix to this and found this thread .. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-MEP/can-t-move-or-Stretch-dimensions-with-Grips/td-p/3799778 .. which seems to be the same issue

I made a video recording of the problem .. http://screencast.com/t/gcviWQ300iw

Message 3 of 17

Seems to me I have run into this problem, but can't remember when. At any rate, if you use point filters for dimensioning a 3D object in 2D space, the dimension should behave on the same plane.

Message 4 of 17

so far the best/easiest fix/workaround I have found is to lock the Z coord to 0 by setting OSNAPZ=1

I use the 'replace Z with current elevation' button on the lower right

never had this issue in 2012

Message 5 of 17
wvhlbly
in reply to: peterchristie1938

I am having the exact same issue.  No problems till 2013 for me.  When I snap a linear dimension into place and try to modify its endgrips or even the text grips...the ucs changes and I have to set the ucs back to world.  Has anyone found why or how to fix yet?  Thanks

Message 6 of 17

I also keep getting a dialog stating "non-unitary UCS Y axis: normalizing" when working with newly placed dimensions, and clicking OK doesn't fix the problem as the dialog keeps coming back.

real PITA as I have to delete the dim and redraw each time this happens

Help Please !!

Message 7 of 17
wvhlbly

Just got back from lunch with another cad manager with a different company and they too are having the problem.  I will post if a solution comes about.  

Message 8 of 17

Would you please share one drawing to me for investigation?

then we have clearer understanding of this issue.

Pengfei.tian@autodesk.com

Pengfei Tian

AutoCAD Architecture

Quality Assurance Engineer

Message 9 of 17

i made a quick video showing the problem

http://screencast.com/t/lusvzRiyBjQ

Message 10 of 17
wvhlbly

Exact same for me as in the video.  Sent a screenshot and file to Autodesk this morning.  Hopefully they can replicate the problem.  

Message 11 of 17
peterchristie1938
in reply to: wvhlbly

try setting UCSFOLLOWDIMENSION = 2

changed mine, seems to be working here, let us know if it fixes it for you

Message 12 of 17
wvhlbly

Works like a champ.  Thanks a ton. 

Message 13 of 17

Does anyone know why some of our computers with AutoCAD MEP 2013 have this setvar (UCSFOLLOWDIMENSION) and some do not?  I am looking for how to get the setvar into the software.  Thank you.

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 17
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Ron.Elstun

UCSFOLLOWDIMENSION is a custom variable used by EastCoast CAD/CAM HVAC software.  Is their plug-in loaded on all machines and is the same version?

Message 15 of 17
traveler582
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Is there a solution to this issue if you don't have the add-on setvar UCSFOLLOWDIMENSION?

I did try OSNAPZ =1, didn't work

I'm having this issue now with my 2014, I can't grip or stretch, I get the same '1 was not parallel to the UCS'

Message 16 of 17
olgal

to solve this problem you have to understand the cause of it. dimension itself has not Z position (you cannot find and change it through the Properties Palette), but receives the Z position of the origin of a measured object. so, if you measure a distance between two polylines with different Z-s, your dimension will be rotated relative to the z-axis. So, to solve this problem, take care of measured objects, not a poor dimension.

Message 17 of 17

Hey! How is everything going?

It has been a while since this question was asked, but i bumped into the same problem on a 2023 Cad file when copying some dimension lines block to another file.

What worked for me for this "1 was not parallel to UCS" issue, was to have the WCS on the dragging menu bellow the compass, set to "WCS", because it was on "Unnamed". That will retrive the ucs coordinates to the original X, Y and Z that were set when the dimension lines were draw. Try doing that if you know a file in which those dimension lines had worked previously. Still, if you don´t have a file in which the dimension lines were proven to have worked before, try setting the WCS of the dragging menu again to WCS anyways.

Hope this grain of salt helps people in the future.

Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost