Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label Curve Style to match OOTB... Use Object Props...

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
mdhutchinson
1464 Views, 11 Replies

Label Curve Style to match OOTB... Use Object Props...

Why can't I make a labelcurve / property that essentially copies the option to "Use Object Props, and Abbr. System Name"  (Units seting to Arch 1/8 precision)????

"Use Object Props, and Abbr. System Name" option conforms to the currect UNITS settings... If I chooese decimal, the tag changes to decimal to match on the next regen.

I want to make my own tag that does not use UNITS setting... but it seems that no matter what I try, the value rounds up a half inch... I've messed with Formatting till I am blue in the face... but I cannot get it to read correctly.

See the attached.

NOTE: When you get the file open... change the units to Arch to 1/8 precision and do a regen...

We have users that want to have decimal units. Autodesk intends Units settings only for in the AutoCAD interface, properties palette, list command etc....

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
VitalyF
in reply to: mdhutchinson

Hi,

You want to have label for two system - metrics and imperial?

Then you need to create two labels.

1. Inch label as it is - "Use Object Props, and Abbr. System Name" 

2. Decimal label - use "Use Property Set" > PipeObject > PipeSizeSysLabel

a) go to the "Style Manager" > "Documentation Objects" > "Property Set definition" > edit set "PipeObject" > 'PipeSizeSysLabel'

b) Upper right window to edit data format property "PipeSize" set "Case As Is"

ok?

Warning: All this must be done in the template!

Vitaly

Message 3 of 12
mdhutchinson
in reply to: VitalyF

Thanks for the quick reply...

Sorry, I guess I was not clear.  I do not want metric label... nor do I want a decimal label.

If I use the  "Use Object Props, and Abbr. System Name"... it reads as I want. But If I change the UNITS= 2 (Dec) and do a regen... my tags change to decimal as well...

What I want is my own label that does not change with LUNITS and LUPREC.

From on-line help: "You can specify the unit type and precision for linear, angular, area, and volume units. The precision values specify only the number of decimal places displayed in the interface. They do not determine the number of decimal places used in the software to make calculations.

So I want my own label where I can "Use Property Set" property that correctly reads 1 1/2" if the pipe is 1 1/2"...(not round up to 2"). Regardless of what I do with Formats... I cannot seem to get my own label to read correctly 

Message 4 of 12
mdhutchinson

Well looking at this closer I don't know if this is possible. For instance 4 inch socket weled steel pipe is 4.5 od... but the pipe size is 4... I would want 4.  3 1/2 copper tube is 3.625 od... but the size you would want on the label is 3 1/2.

I thought about editing our company catalogs to provide a text property that has the size you would want displayed in a label... but this seems like overkill.

thoughts?

Message 5 of 12
VitalyF

Now yes, of course! Sorry

try these settings?

PipeSizeNominalInch.gif

Message 6 of 12
Keith.Brown

The problem was not with the label at all but with how you had your formula property set defined.  I went in and changed the formula to read the nominal diameter instead of the connection diameter.  Then since you had the diameter encased in quotes you were converting it to a string.  This means that you must format it BEFORE converting it to a string so inside of the formula property editor i changed the units to a new format that i created.  A screenshot of the format is below.

Property Data Format.jpg

And this is what your formula for the property definition should look like.

Property Formula.jpg

And finally the pipe changing sizes in AutoCAD MEP with both tags updating correctly.

Untitled.gif

I have also attached the updated file.

Message 7 of 12
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Property sets and their units operate independently from the units of a drawing.  It is quite acceptable to have your drawing units in imperial and all of your labels in metric as the property data formats work on the unformatted value of the propery definition.  When converting numerical values to strings it can get quite difficult to keep up on the units and getting them to display correctly.  The thing to keep in mind is that you must format your units correctly inside of the formula editor for the property definition.  Since the value has been converted to a string then in the property set definition you can just set the units to standard as shown in the screenshot below.

Property Set Units.jpg

Message 8 of 12
Keith.Brown

@VitalyF wrote:

You want to have label for two system - metrics and imperial?

Then you need to create two labels.

Actually this is not true.  You just need to create a formula based property definition that shows two different property definitions.  One that is metric and one that is imperial.  I have included a drawing that does just this.  Below is a video showing the label in action.

Imperial and Metric Label.gif

Message 9 of 12
VitalyF

My opinion - the label should be one of the two... ))

Message 10 of 12
Keith.Brown

Totally agree but I did have a client who specifically asked for this type of label.  It was only for coordination purposes however and the layer was turned off when creating construction documentation.  It was however used in several schedules.  The moral of the story is that property set units do not have to match the units of the drawing.  Since they work on the raw numbers you can have them display whatever you wish.

Also, the label demonstrates a technique that I use to create multi-line labels.  Useful in some circumstances.

Message 11 of 12
VitalyF

I do not show, I'm helping users in specific cases...

Message 12 of 12
natroshi

Hi Keith,

I need to put labels in the pipe in inches, I got in millimeters

What formula should I change? or should I create a new formula?

I have already created the unit in inches. 

And  is possible to show the labels in the hidden view??

Than you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost