Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received APJ file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
smbrennan
1307 Views, 5 Replies

Just received APJ file

I am in the process of exploring more effecient ways to work as an electrical contractor. I recently started working on a design-build job, and the CAD files were obviously done using Project Navigator (PN). The ZIP folder contained views, constructs, sheets, etc.  However, it did not come with the .APJ file. When I requested the file, I got it no problem. However, now that I have it, I apparently have no idea on how to link the files I have to the project file. When I open the Windows Explorer location through PN, it brings me to the correct location and I see the files in Windows, but not in PN. 

Am I doing something wrong? I'm sure I missed a step somewhere, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: smbrennan

In order to have the dwg files show up in the project navigator you need to have the individual xml files for EACH dwg.  This is how the PN knows that a file belongs in the project.  You can either request all of the files or open up in file and save it into your project.  If you do not have many files then this is probably the fastest way to go.  If you have alot of files then you should request that the file owners also send the xml files with the dwg files.

Message 3 of 6
smbrennan
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe I tried that by doing the following:

• Open a drawing (from the Constructs)
  • In PN, right click Constructs and select "Save Current DWG as Construct"
  • When prompted at the Add Construct file, I don't make any changes to the Name, Desc, or Category. I check the box for the only division available (4th Floor, as this is a single floor tenant build-out).
  • When I click OK, I get a message saying "A file with this name already exists in this category. Please enter a different name."

I understand what it's saying, but is there a way to remove the previous link, or to override that link with the new file?

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 4 of 6
Keith.Brown

I should have mentioned that before,  You will have to move the file out of the directory before trying to add it or you will need to rename it.  Another option is to create a blank file and add it to the project.  Then open up its xml file and note how it is made including the naming for the division, level, etc.  You can then just rename the name of the xml file and add it to the same directory as the original dwg.  It will then add the file to the project.  The xml file should look something like this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<File Name="V-CN-L01-SUSPENDED (US Metric)">
    <Version>70</Version>
    <Description>V-CN-L01-SUSPENDED (US Metric)</Description>
    <Region>
        <Cell Level="1" Division="1"/>
    </Region>
</File>

I don't usually recommend mucking around with xml files manually but these are simple to create and if you mess one up it won't have any adverse affect on your model other than placing it at the wrong elevation. 

Good Luck!

P.S.  I created that out of Autocad MEP 2013.  You should create one using your software and mimic the version number from your software instead of using the one I showed.

Message 5 of 6
smbrennan
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Ahh, that helps it make sense.

So the EASIEST way to do this, regardless of how big or small the job is, would be to obtain these XML files from the creator of the APJ file?

The next best option is to remove any constructs, views, sheets, etc from their respective folder, then add it back in manually.

Shawn B.

||    
Message 6 of 6
Keith.Brown

Yes,  the easiest way would be to obtain all of the files from the owner of the project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost