Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a junction box with a variable connector position?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ruipfbarreiros
724 Views, 4 Replies

Is it possible to create a junction box with a variable connector position?

Hi,

I want to create a junction box in AutoCAD MEP for my piping system. The idea is that I can connect a pipe at any given elevation, much like a structure in Civil3D works, since the pipes that connect to the junction are sloped...

Is this possible to achieve? If so, what's the best method?

Thanks

Rui

---------------------------------------

Using Building Design Suite 2019
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that you would probably need to create a mvpart to represent your junction box.  Additionally this mvpart would need to be create parametrically if you wish to move the location of the pipe connection points around.  

This link should help get you started to creating mvparts.  http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/online-help/BLDSYS/2012/ENU/pages/WS1a9193826455f5ff4e42...

There are also alot of informative videos on youtube.  Here is a video series by Autodesk on the subject.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTK-G9WhRc&list=PL5BECF3FD4D76FCA8&index=1

Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith,

WOW! That's really curious...I spent last night watching that video you suggested and now I realized that yes, it can be done! 

I'm now struggling with the fact that the junction box has to be on an horizontal plane, but the pipe that connects to it may have a slope...I wondered if the connection object in the parametric part builder could have a slope parameter but I guess not...

I think i'll have to create a workplane that is slanted so that I can attach to it a connector...

Am I thinking right?

Message 4 of 5

ruipfbarreiros wrote:

I think i'll have to create a workplane that is slanted so that I can attach to it a connector...

Am I thinking right?

You can just set the Angle of Deflection value on the connector to a larger value.  It will then allow sloped pipe to connect.  An angle of deflection of 0 means that the pipe must be completely lined up perfectly to connect.  An angle of deflection of 20.0 means that the pipe can be sloped a maximum of 20 degrees and still connect to the connector.

Message 5 of 5

WOW! Thanks a lot, that's a great solution! really helpful!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost