Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am evaluating your 2017 MEPS software for our company

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
STurnerZFC3V
463 Views, 8 Replies

I am evaluating your 2017 MEPS software for our company

I am evaluating your 2017 MEPS software for our company. I was very high on MEPS as I have used it previously. So I really pushed this on my boss, bragging about the Macro capabilities. So I install a trial and was reviewing commands and their locations. Then for the important one-macros. After reading your help tutorial concerning macros, I then tried to find and use. Guess what? Macro commands are disabled! No wonder after spending hours I could not locate macro commands.

What a position you have put me in. I’ve got mud all over my face with the boss. So, do I cave to the boss and say yes, you were right, ACAD is lousy? What do you suggest? Maybe when you have a trial version, all the bells and whistles should be available and working. Or maybe the reason for a trial version, to see what the capabilities are, is not the definition Autocad uses. Do you want more customers or not?

Embarrassed for you,

Sheldon Turner

JoMac Ltd.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Keith.Brown
in reply to: STurnerZFC3V

Not sure which MEP software you are actually evaluating but all desktop software has 100% functionality for the trial period.  AutoCAD MEP does not come with any macros so you might have the wrong one.  Are you looking for CAD MEP?

Message 3 of 9
STurnerZFC3V
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Autocad MEP 2017, as it is stated here, is supposed to have macro capabilities:

Autodesk

Sign In
AutoCAD

Search
Submit
OverviewGetting StartedLearn & ExploreDownloadsTroubleshooting

To translate this article, select a language.
Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)Bahasa Melayu (Malay)Català (Catalan)Čeština (Czech)Dansk (Danish)Deutsch (German)EnglishEspañol (Spanish)Français (French)Italiano (Italian)Latviešu valoda (Latvian)Lietuvių kalba (Lithuanian)Magyar (Hungarian)Nederlands (Dutch)Norsk (Norwegian)Polski (Polish)Português (Brasil) (Brazilian Portuguese)Română (Romanian)Slovenčina (Slovak)Slovenščina (Slovenian)Suomi (Finnish)Svenska (Swedish)Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)Türkçe (Turkish)Ελληνικά (Greek)Български (Bulgarian)Русский (Russian)Українська (Ukranian)हिन्दी (Hindi)ภาษาไทย (Thai)한국어 (Korean)日本語 (Japanese)简体 (Chinese Simplified)繁體 (Chinese Traditional)english english
English Original  X 

View Original  X 
To Work with Playing Back Macros
May 03 2016In-Product View 
Help
Applies to AutoCAD 2017, AutoCAD Architecture 2017, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017, AutoCAD Electrical 2017, AutoCAD MEP 2017, AutoCAD Map 3D 2017, AutoCAD Mechanical 2017, AutoCAD P&ID 2017, AutoCAD Plant 3D 2017, and AutoCAD Utility Design 2017 Applies to AutoCAD 2017, AutoCAD Architecture 2017, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017, AutoCAD Electrical 2017, AutoCAD MEP 2017, AutoCAD Map 3D 2017, AutoCAD Mechanical 2017, AutoCAD P&ID 2017, AutoCAD Plant 3D 2017, and AutoCAD Utility Design 2017

How to play back action macros and change their search path.

Play Back an Action Macro From the Action Recorder Panel
  1. Click Manage tab Action Recorder pane Available Action Macro and select the action macro to play back.
  2. Click Play.
  3. Respond to any Command prompts and dialog boxes displayed to complete the action macro.
Play Back an Action Macro From the Command Prompt
  • At the Command prompt, enter the name of the action macro that you want to play back and press Enter.

For example, if the action macro command name is DRAWLINE, enter drawline.

Change the Location Used to Search for Recorded Action Macros
  1. Click Application button Options.
  2. In the Options dialog box, Files tab, navigate to Action Recorder Settings Actions Recording File Location.
  3. Specify a folder path.

AutoCAD Forum
Connect with peers and Autodesk in our forums, read community articles, and submit your ideas.
Was this Article Helpful?
Please help us improve the content on this site. Was this article helpful?
YesNo
Message 4 of 9
STurnerZFC3V

The Help tutorials include creating and using macros. My trial version states macro commands have been disabled. Autocad 2015 user stated he had macro capabilities. So......

Message 5 of 9
Keith.Brown

When you say macro what do you mean.  Do you mean the action recorder or do you mean custom vba programs?

I have not a need to install 2017 so i have not done it yet but every year that have improved the security options so it could be that you need to change the security options to run a vba dll which could be considered a macro.  Try the command SECURITYOPTIONS.

Message 6 of 9
STurnerZFC3V

This the help page from Autocad MEP 2017. It clearly lists all the macro creating and playback commands, which when I typed the commands in, the message came back as command disabled.

Per ACAD MEP 2017 (below)"Action macros can be played back while recording an action macro; you can combine multiple action macros together to create a new action macro." This is what I need. In our research of systems, MEP 2017 had built in macro capabilities.

Sheldon Turner

English

REFINE BY
Knowledge Source
(118)Product Documentation
Information Category
(67)Developer's Documentation
(35)Scripting & Customization
(16)Learn & Explore
(2)Getting Started
Product Feature
(1)Drawing Tools
Content Type
(58)Reference
(52)Concept
(8)Task
(2)System Variable
(1)Command
Activity
(32)Customizing
(3)Migrating
(1)Installing
Content Provider
(118)Autodesk
User Type
(72)Developer
(35)Administrator/CAD Manager
(34)User
Skill Level
(2)Beginner
(116)Intermediate
Media
(118)Text Only
Showing 1-15 of 118 results for creating macros
About Command Macros
International Support for Macros When you first create a macro, you commonly create it using the command names and option values in the language you are familiar with
Product Documentation | 2016-06-22
About Using AutoLISP in Macros
You can use AutoLISP variables and expressions to create macros that perform complex tasks
About Action Macro Files
Action macro files are similar to scripts; except they are created by performing actions directly inside of the application instead of adding commands and command options to an ASCII text file
About Recording Action Macros
Action macros can be played back while recording an action macro; you can combine multiple action macros together to create a new action macro. Make sure any action macros used while recording an action macro are present in one of the paths defined by the ACTPATH or ACTRECPATH system variables
Commands for Action Macros
These commands and system variables are used to create and run action macros
Product Documentation | 2016-05-03
About DIESEL Expressions in Macros
You can use DIESEL string expressions in customization (CUI/CUIx) files as an additional method of creating macros and a way to change a pull-down menu label
About Managing Action Macros
Copy. Creates a duplicate copy of the action macro; you specify a new command and file name for the action macro
Macros Dialog Box
Edit Displays the Visual Basic Editor and the selected macro. Create Creates a macro with the name specified in Macro Name, and then displays the Visual Basic Editor and the empty procedure for the new macro
Action Macro Manager
Copy Creates a duplicate copy of an action macro. Rename Renames an action macro
Action Macro Example: Create a New Layer and Draw Objects
In this example, you create an action macro that makes a new layer and then draws objects on the layer to create a 2D top view of a hexagon bolt
To Modify Object Selection during the Playback of an Action Macro
Use one of the following options to alter the behavior of an Object Selection node: Use Macro-Created Object Selection. Selects all the objects that have been created since the start of the action macro
Action Macro Example: Modify Circles With the Properties Palette
Play Back the Action Macro When you play back the action macro, you are prompted to select objects if no objects are selected
About Creating and Customizing of Shortcut Keys
Command Display Name String that contains the name of the AutoCAD command that is related to the command in the macro. QSAVE Macro The command macro. It follows the standard macro syntax
About Creating Custom Submenus
Special characters for submenus Character Description Example $( Enables the menu label to evaluate a DIESEL string macro if $( are the first characters
About Creating and Using Command Tools
In AutoCAD, a tool can execute an AutoLISP ® routine or VBA macro (not available in AutoCAD LT)

Message 7 of 9
STurnerZFC3V

See Attachment

Message 8 of 9
STurnerZFC3V

See Attachment

Message 9 of 9
Keith.Brown

AutoCAD MEP does not come with any macros so any macro that you run would have to be custom so where are you getting them from?  What does the error look like when you try to create a new one and run it?

Again, Trials from Autodesk are the full software.  They do not disable anything that I am aware of.  You get the full trial for 30 days.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost