Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you roll a 90 degree conduit elbow to connect to a sloping conduit?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ddemerath
3803 Views, 5 Replies

How do you roll a 90 degree conduit elbow to connect to a sloping conduit?

I have been fighting with this for hours now with trying to connect a horizontal conduit and a sloping conduit  with a 90 degree elbow.  I would like to roll the 90 like we do out in the field.  The horizontal conduit is   2" GRC-Threaded at

966'-3 5/16".  The conduit I would like to connect to is sloped from 960'-0 9/32" to 963'-8 3/32".  I need to continue this on and attach to the horizontal pipe using the 90 degree elbow.  I doesn't want to work.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tkendrick
in reply to: ddemerath

I've found that this is not possible using Automatic Solutions. Here is the process I use to create this.

-Draw the conduit with the 90 all at the same elevation

-Delete a section, or GripEdit disconnect, where you need the elevation to change

-Select the part you want to change the elevation to. Edit it's properties to the new elevation.

-In a 3D view select the 90, there will be a Rotation grip available (Only in 3D). GripEdit the rotation, you can type in the exact angle.

-Use the "Plus" Grip to add conduit and extend to the conduit connector on the other section at the new elevation. The Automatic Solution should prompt you for possible angles.

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 3 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: tkendrick

You can also change the slope of the conduit to get the 90 bend to rotate to the angle that you want.  Just stop your conduit where you want the 90 bend to start.  Start the conduitadd command again and either at the command line or the properties pallette change your slope to 45 degress and then draw your conduit at a 90 angle in a top down view.  This will add the 90 degree elbow but have it rotated 45 degrees.  Depending on your UCS, you might have to use -45, 45, 135, -135 degrees to get the elbow to rotate in the correct direction.   As the previous poster mentioned, you could also just switch to an ISO view and rotate the little blue diamond on the fitting.

Message 4 of 6
Martin__Schmid

If things are aligned, you shouldn't have a problem... but perhaps I am misunderstanding the problem.  Refer to the attached image.  It seems to capture what you have stated, however, of course, it won't be possible to auto-route an elbow in this case because the elements are not aligned.  However, if things are aligned correctly, it is quite simple as demonstrated in the linked video: http://screencast.com/t/cxs3noNpvF

I'm sure there is something I am misunderstanding about what you've stated... please clarify and we'll try to help out.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
ddemerath
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

That is where the problem is.  I need to allign the conduits and then it will work.  I was hoping it would auto connect for me.  Thanks everyone for the help.

Message 6 of 6
Martin__Schmid

Glad it makes sense... 

If you didn't align them, there are too many 'unknowns' to solve.  I.e, as you can see in the image, one could make the angled conduit more slopped to make the connection aligned... or one could move it further away.  Or, one could move the horizontal conduit, or move it down.  None of these are going to happen automatically during the process of routing between points, and in many cases, one wouldn't want it to.   It may be possible to create a utility that would help make an adjust this specific case, but in other cases, where there are more connections already made, it could get quite complicated.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost