Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I merge three "MvParts US Imperial.apc" files into one

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bduvall
307 Views, 6 Replies

How can I merge three "MvParts US Imperial.apc" files into one

I work for an engineering company where there are three of us using ABS4. All three of us are constantly making new mvparts. How can I merge the three "MvParts US Imperial.apc" files into one updated file with all of the equipment that we have each created? Thanks in advance for your respone.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: bduvall

Sorry to say, but I don't think you can, but if so
I would be very interested in knowing how myself aswell.

--
Michael Sonnier
TSP
Architecture Engineering
Construction
www.teamtsp.com

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
work for an engineering company where there are three of us using ABS4. All
three of us are constantly making new mvparts. How can I merge the three
"MvParts US Imperial.apc" files into one updated file with all of the
equipment that we have each created? Thanks in advance for your
respone.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

To the best of my belief, copy respective dwg, xml and bmp files to the
catalog subdirectory (you may create own subfolders/subdirectiries) and
regenerate catalog.
sp

"bduvall" wrote in message
news:f18cb83.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I work for an engineering company where there are three of us using ABS4.
All three of us are constantly making new mvparts. How can I merge the three
"MvParts US Imperial.apc" files into one updated file with all of the
equipment that we have each created? Thanks in advance for your respone.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Thats what I did.
Works.

If you are importing from 3 you'll need to saveas 2004.

"Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message
news:1448B339410CEB48E806383BC66EE685@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> To the best of my belief, copy respective dwg, xml and bmp files to the
> catalog subdirectory (you may create own subfolders/subdirectiries) and
> regenerate catalog.
> sp
>
>
> "bduvall" wrote in message
> news:f18cb83.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > I work for an engineering company where there are three of us using
ABS4.
> All three of us are constantly making new mvparts. How can I merge the
three
> "MvParts US Imperial.apc" files into one updated file with all of the
> equipment that we have each created? Thanks in advance for your respone.
>
>
Message 5 of 7
valacho

Along those same lines, what if more than one person is creating data in the same part type. How can I get the data from one into another without losing data? I tried adding it via the Content Editor, but it won't allow me to add a row for an MVPart. I just want the data from the Basic Table, Constant Lists, etc. to be copied from one catalog to the other. When I right click on a row in the destination catalog, insert-row the "row" option is grayed out. I only have a column option and I don't want to add a column.

I'm looking through the "Help" but it doesn't so far.
Message 6 of 7
jsheets

You can open up one catalog with the catalog editor highlight the part you want right click and select copy, then open up another catalog and paste the part in. You might consider placing your combined catalog on a server and have all your users link to that one catalog in their Building Systems Catalogs under Options. Then all users are updating one catalog and they have instant access to new parts as they are being created. This doesn't work so well though if the users are in different physical cities and they are trying to access it over a VPN.

I apologize for my typing and grammer. I don't have a lot of time so I am just trying to get the general idea across.
Message 7 of 7
valacho

So, if I do that, and suppose each person creates a different size of the same part within a family, won't one group of files overwrite the other group so that I will lose data from one or the other if I just copy the .dwg, .xml and .bmp files?

We do currently have everyone accessing the catalog on the network, but it is in a read-only file, except to a couple of us.

I think we're going to have a central catalog used for adding and modifying parts but it's not going to be our catalog that we use. We don't want mistakes made in the catalog that everyone uses. We're going to let the users who want to modify MVParts or add sizes work in that copy of the catalog and then once we check and know that the parts are created correctly, we'll overwrite the catalog we use generally.

Unless someone knows of a way to merge the sizes without overwriting the data. I understand it will work if people are creating parts in different families, but I don't think it works if they are creating different parts in the same family.

Please let me know if that isn't clear or if you know of a way I can do that. I hope that makes what we're trying to do more clear.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost