Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make a single pipe fitting that connects to multiple size pipes?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mdhutchinson
702 Views, 3 Replies

How can I make a single pipe fitting that connects to multiple size pipes?

How can I make a single pipe fitting that will connect to three sizes of pipe?

The fitting name would be the same for each.

e.g.  a concrete insert that fits three sizes of all-thread rods (MEP Pipe).

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Keith.Brown
in reply to: mdhutchinson

You can choose to create it as a pipe fititng which an endcap would be an obvious choice as the pipefititng type.  But you have already figured out in the past that you will not be able to correctly orientate a pipe fitting in your model until you actually attach it to the pipe.  Also the choice of using a pipe fitting will restrict how the fitting will look.

I would instead think about using an mvpart to represent the concrete insert.  You could build this part in the XZ or YZ plane and it will then look correct during the process of inserting onto a threaded rod.  Of course this means the threaded rod must be vertical.  In some circumstances you could have a concrete insert with a threaded rod horizontal.  Additionally with using an mvpart you will have greater control on how the part will look in a top or side view using symbol planes.  Just something to think about.

On to your question about how to control your sizes.  If you just make your configuration of all of your values table based you can then just create three different sizes.  Additionally if you turn off the custom sizing flag you can disable creating a new size part while inserting.

Below is an example of a copper endcap where i modified the partname and the connector type.  I then changed deleted some table values and changed some values and that was it.

Options.jpg

Configuration.jpg

Calculation.jpg

Values.jpg

I included the pipefitting as an example if you want to look at it.  Just copy all three files into a pipe fitting catalog folder and then regenerate the catalog.  I did not check and see if it had a unique GUID so you might want to place it in a catalog at the top of the list and/or just give it a new unique GUID so that it can coexist with the Copper - Brazed Endcap that I copied it from.

Let me know if you would like help creating the insert as an mvpart.  As i said i think it is a better way to go.

Message 3 of 4
mdhutchinson
in reply to: Keith.Brown

okay... as you guessed by now, I am still new to the Content Parametric editor...

I've made a good number of block based parts... but very view parametric ones.

I am looking at some out of the box mvparts.

See this mvpart...

All Installed mvParts ((US Imperial) > Mechanical > Valves > Threaded Cap Relief Valve

I am wondering what purpose the extra line and point serves. The point is set to 'Fixed'... but the line is not. I thought it might be tied in to a parallel constraint or something... but is it not.

Can you take a look?

Message 4 of 4
Keith.Brown
in reply to: mdhutchinson

I don't think it serves any point.  One thing to remember when looking at content is that Autodesk hired whole teams of content builders to build their content.  The parts probably will not be consistant nor will everything serve a purpose.

Once of the most annoying things is when you go into the content builder and everything is set to be hidden.  You have to go through and unhide everything.  What I started doing was moving the parts to my own catalogs.  I would move the actual files and not copy the part using the catalog manager.  This way the guid of the part would stay the same.  I place my catalogs higher in the list of catalogs that way it will see the my part first and not even load the original part.  I can make changes if i need to and not have to worry about someone choosing the wrong part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost