Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hanger Tags

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
sbrennan85
4177 Views, 26 Replies

Hanger Tags

I've recently discovered the joy of ADDHANGER command. I've figured out the workings of hangers, and believe it'll be a great tool for coordinating in a 3D model. It'll help us become much faster as well.

The next step i want to achieve is to tag these hangers. The tag that I've found to work is:

"Top of " <Length of Hanger/Channel> "Unistrut"

"@ "<Elevation of top of channel/bottom of conduit> "A.F.F."

I can get the top line to work fine, but I'm having troubles with the second line. I've created the property set definition for objects to include both hangers and conduit, but the value on conduit size doesn't register when I tag the hanger.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Shawn

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
VitalyF
in reply to: smbrennan

Hi All,

There is good news, we can take LocationZ from pipe using formulas

Even through external links!!

hangerZlocations.gif

MEPHangerObjects

On Error Resume Next 

RESULT = "--" 

Set app = GetObject(,"AutoCAD.Application")
Set aec = app.GetInterfaceObject("AecX.AecBaseApplication.7.7")
aec.Init app

set hang = app.ActiveDocument.ObjectIDtoobject([ObjectID])
set anchor = hang.GetAnchor
set pipe = anchor.Reference 
RESULT = aec.ActiveDocument.Utility.ConvertToVariantArray(pipe.Location)(2)

and

PipeStyles

RESULT="--"
On Error Resume Next
Set app = GetObject(,"AutoCAD.Application")
Set aec = app.GetInterfaceObject("AecX.AecBaseApplication.7.7")
aec.Init app
Set Pipe = app.ActiveDocument.ObjectIDtoobject( [ObjectID] )
pt = aec.ActiveDocument.Utility.ConvertToVariantArray(Pipe.Location)

RESULT = pt(2)

clip >>

HangerZlocation

for MEP2015 version

best regards

Vitaly

Message 22 of 27
Keith.Brown

@smbrennan85 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response, Keith! I tried that, but upon exploding, the anchors were breaking. Is there some variable I'm unaware about? I've attached that file where the blocks reside that's referenced in the tool palette.

I don't think that I have ever noticed that before.  It could be also that it got broken in 2014.  I am not for sure as I don't model on a regular basis anymore.  I did some checking however and it looks like the tool palette explode code is unique and that is what is breaking the anchors.  If i copy/paste a block into my current drawing and explode it once then the anchros are still present.  It looks like some simple lisp or .net can then be used to impliment this instead.  I will go the lisp route as it will be easier to create and distribute.

Message 23 of 27
VitalyF
in reply to: VitalyF

Hi All

PS

Yesterday it was not possible to change the message, which is higher.

Should be left to only one formula - MEPHangerObjects, the other is not needed >> PipeStyles

PS

For other versions of the MEP should be replaced >>

("AecX.AecBaseApplication.7.7") - MEP2015
("AecX.AecBaseApplication.7.5") - MEP2014
("AecX.AecBaseApplication.7.0") - MEP2013

PS

There is also a formula allowing to take property from the anchoring object

Such properties walls for windows or doors, the properties of conduit, pipe for hangers, etc.

When it is handmade is not needed!

Message 24 of 27
smbrennan
in reply to: VitalyF

Vitaly -

Thanks for that tip! However, I work with Conduit. In the last line:

RESULT = aec.ActiveDocument.Utility.ConvertToVariantArray(pipe.Location)(2)

Can I simply replace (pipe.Location) with (conduit.Location)??

Keith - 

I just tested something out - and it appears that inserting the block via the tool palette and manually exploding it will retain the anchors, but the automated insert/expldoe breaks the hangers. I wonder why? Maybe it is just a break in code that no one caught during Beta.

Now, I created an MVPart, saved it to a drawing, and tried adding that to a palette. It added just fine, but that was the other day. Today, it's saying it's not within the catalog. What's the best resource for learning about catalogs and customizing/deploying/maintaining?

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 25 of 27
Tom_Eitelbach

I think I finaly have my hanger tags just the way I want them. I thought I would share. Maybe someone can get some use out of them or maybe build off of them.

See attached.

Tommorow I will send in my conduit connectors/spacers. They work to keep the conduit a set distance off of wall or cabinet to match the different types of strut and also keep an 1-1/4" spaceing between the conduits. They are also parametic and work with thin wall and heavy wall.

Good day.

Message 26 of 27
smbrennan
in reply to: Tom_Eitelbach

@t.eitelbach wrote:

I think I finaly have my hanger tags just the way I want them. I thought I would share. Maybe someone can get some use out of them or maybe build off of them.

See attached.

Tommorow I will send in my conduit connectors/spacers. They work to keep the conduit a set distance off of wall or cabinet to match the different types of strut and also keep an 1-1/4" spaceing between the conduits. They are also parametic and work with thin wall and heavy wall.

Good day.

Thanks! I'm interested in seeing those spacers - I feel that I waste a lot of time fine tuning those details.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 27 of 27
Tom_Eitelbach

@smbrennan85 wrote:

Thanks! I'm interested in seeing those spacers - I feel that I waste a lot of time fine tuning those details.

I spend a lot of time on that also.

I was having difficulties this morning copying the connectors folder out of  the catalog editor. I was able to get it to work for 2015. I was trying for 2014.

I hope the attached parts catalog file works OK. I did not get a chance to test it before putting it in a compressed folder.

I attached a sample drawing. I also had problems pulling the connectors out of the catalog. For some reason after placing the first connector all the other part sizes in the catalog disappeared. I switched to a different part and then went back , and they were there, but when I would choose one it would go back to the first part size.

I should probably explain the conduit hanger tags a bit. It works off of the attachment type property set. If the strut has "anchor" then everything is automatic off of the space it is in. If it is set to "Beam clamp" then you have to type in a length of the rod manually. If it is set for "U Clamp" it will always show 0" rod length. So if you move a piece of unistrut up or down that are using the  "Beam Clamp" or "U Clamp" attachment property the rod length in the tag will not change. The "Beam Clamp " rod length you would have to change manually in the extended properties box for that piece of strut. Not fully automatic but good enough for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost