AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

Valued Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 11 of 25 (613 Views)

Re: Hanger Tags

11-03-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: sbrennan85

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at these two when I have some extra time at the office. I don't know how the topic keeps getting marked as solved.

Shawn

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Valued Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 12 of 25 (498 Views)

01-03-2013 09:02 AM in reply to: Keith.Brown

Keith,

After two months I finally have time to take a look at this, and I must say I like it. Within minutes of testing a couple of basics, it's a step up from my 3D objects, and that doesn't even include the slotting detail.

I have absolutely no clue on how to duplicate this or even work with it to understand how it's working.

Shawn B.

To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Valued Contributor
mjmpe
Message 13 of 25 (481 Views)

01-09-2013 04:25 AM in reply to: sbrennan85

I did not even know there were hangers  in Mep to add, how do you go about inserting hangers in my drwg? I tried typing "ADDHANGER" in the command line that did not work.

thanks

Valued Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 14 of 25 (469 Views)

01-10-2013 01:11 PM in reply to: mjmpe

Try HANGERADD.

Shawn B.

Valued Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 15 of 25 (351 Views)

03-18-2013 12:49 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

Keith,

I am trying to figure out how you made that, I'll call it an assembly, of structural members. I for the life of me can't figure it out, even with researching online! 

Could you please lead me somewhere that can help guide me through the steps? I like the parametrics behind it, but would like to make one that I can call my own, specifically where we use double 1-5/8 strut for racks with multiple levels of conduit.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn B.

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 16 of 25 (346 Views)

03-18-2013 01:48 PM in reply to: smbrennan85

What I did was create the three different components.  The unistrut, the square nut, and then the rod.  I then brought a piece of unistrut into the drawing, two nuts, and two of the rods.  Then using a very under utilized command I attached them to each other.  The NodeAnchorAttach command like the ObjectAnchorAttach anchors one Aec object to another.  but unlike the Object Anchor, the node anchor allows you to move the anchored object in relationship to the main object via the property palette.  Look for a section called Location on Node and then select the Anchor Dialog.  It will allow you to position the anchored object in relationship to the main object.  So I played around with the settings and was able to get the square nut and the threaded rod in the correct position that i liked.

There are many videos on youtube on how to create structural items but I don't believe that there are many on the different types of anchors.  As I said before, the node anchor is a great little item.  If it hired a PR team i think it could eventually become a star in the MEP world.

Keith Brown AutoCAD MEP BLOG | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 | Revit 2014 | EastCoast CAD/CAM V6.1 | Visual Studio 2013
────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 17 of 25 (344 Views)

03-18-2013 01:54 PM in reply to: mjmpe

mjmpe wrote:

I did not even know there were hangers  in Mep to add, how do you go about inserting hangers in my drwg? I tried typing "ADDHANGER" in the command line that did not work.

thanks

I am not sure what version of MEP they finally added a standard duct hanger to the Imperial template but it is there in 2013.  It is also viewable out of the box.  Prior you had to adjust the display representations to get them to work.

Here is a link to a youtube video from 2009 that shows how to use hangers.  Please keep in mind that in 2013 the process has changed because hangers are present in the template and are already viewable.  This might also be the case in 2012 but I don't know for sure.

you tube hanger video

⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate. Thank you!
Valued Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 18 of 25 (39 Views)

09-28-2014 04:56 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

Keith.Brown wrote:

What I did was create the three different components.  The unistrut, the square nut, and then the rod.  I then brought a piece of unistrut into the drawing, two nuts, and two of the rods.  Then using a very under utilized command I attached them to each other.  The NodeAnchorAttach command like the ObjectAnchorAttach anchors one Aec object to another.  but unlike the Object Anchor, the node anchor allows you to move the anchored object in relationship to the main object via the property palette.  Look for a section called Location on Node and then select the Anchor Dialog.  It will allow you to position the anchored object in relationship to the main object.  So I played around with the settings and was able to get the square nut and the threaded rod in the correct position that i liked.

There are many videos on youtube on how to create structural items but I don't believe that there are many on the different types of anchors.  As I said before, the node anchor is a great little item.  If it hired a PR team i think it could eventually become a star in the MEP world.

Keith - Yet again I find myself revisiting this topic. I've been using basically the same concept you shared in this thread for a couple of years now - but I'm tired of having to hunt down drawings where this style exists - and I'm looking at an alternate workflow for the 3D modelers in my company to use Tool Palettes for their 3D modeling (hangers, junction/pull boxes, tags, etc). I first tried adding the cluster of structural members to the palette, not possible. I then tested just the channel, and that worked - but obviously only the channel, no rod or square nut.

Have you found a way to automate the insertion of this assembly without the use of LISP? I'm not opposed to LISP, but I have no experience in the matter.

Shawn B.

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 19 of 25 (27 Views)

09-29-2014 05:07 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

You were almost there.  

So what you do is gather up all of your different structural style hangers and place them in a single drawing.  Or in seperate drawings I guess it doesnt matter and then make a block out of each of them.  Each hanger should be a single block.  It doesnt matter what the name of the block is but make sure that the insertion point of the block is the insertion point of the hanger.  (probably the strut portion in this case)  Place the drawing(s) in a networked location or a location that is easily accessable by everyone in the team and then just drag each block to a tool palette.  Once you have all of the blocks on your tool palettes, right click each tool on the palette and select explode upon insertion.  That is basically all there is to it.

Have you created a one off mvparts that only live in a specific drawing?  Block them up and create your own catalogs of block based parts!  It will always be better to create a catalog based part but if you already have alot of the single drawing parts then this is a good way to reuse them.

I once setup for a client pump assemblies, bathroom layouts, standard VAV box controls, etc in this manner.  Draw it once is my motto and reuse, reuse, reuse.

Valued Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 20 of 25 (24 Views)

09-29-2014 05:28 AM in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks for the quick response, Keith! I tried that, but upon exploding, the anchors were breaking. Is there some variable I'm unaware about? I've attached that file where the blocks reside that's referenced in the tool palette.

As for the MVParts, I am actually working on a database of objects such as Junction Boxes that can be reused. I'm not too sure how I'm going to tackle conduit connectors for the larger sizes, since a 24x24 could theoretecially be for 12x 3/4" Conduits or 1x 4" Conduit. Are you suggesting components such as Trapeze Hangers be better used as an MV Part? 

Shawn B.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.