Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grooved Elbow to Grooved Elbow Connection

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jackpritchard
901 Views, 6 Replies

Grooved Elbow to Grooved Elbow Connection

Hi,

I'm trying to draw a double grooved elbow rise.    MEP is not producing an accurate result.  It draws 2 elbows, 2 couplings & a small piece of pipe 24mm long between the 2 grooved elbows.  

Why don't grooved elbows connect to each other with 1 coupling in between,  as it would in real life?

Butt welded elbow risers don't draw a small piece of pipe between the 2 elbows.

How do I get grooved elbows to connect to each other without this small piece of pipe between?   

Thanks

Capture.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: jackpritchard

** Edit ** Be aware that the previous reply is nothing but spam.

I am not seeing the same issue as you.  When i draw two back to back elbows only one coupling is placed between the elbows.  Possibly the centerlines of your pipe are spread two far apart causing the software to try and place a short piece between them?

Grooved Pipe.gif

Message 3 of 7
jackpritchard
in reply to: Keith.Brown

I also get that result when I am drawing back to back elbows in plan.

It's when I need to draw a rise or drop.  It draws the small piece of pipe between the couplings.

For example.  150 pipe.   (elevation) (relative) (283)   -  this is the centre to centre distance of 2 Victaulic firelock elbows.

Message 4 of 7
Keith.Brown

I get the same results when drawing a riser that I do when drawing in plan view.  Instead of using the exact center to center distance, make the distance alot smaller.  MEP will then put the elbow in back to back.  The video below is using just the mouse to place the elbow but when i tried it using the keyboard i got the same results.  I placed a 4" pipe at 0 elevation and then moved to 2" elevation and then continued on.  Since the Center to Center of the routing preference elbows was greater than 2" it had to move the center line beyond the 2" just enough to get back to back elbows.  So if you really want to use the command line then try this 

150 pipe. (elevation) (relative) (50).  This should place the elbows back to back.

Grooved pipe vertical connection.gif

Message 5 of 7
jackpritchard

Thanks for your reply.  

Yes it works when drawing in 3D view as per your video.

It doesn't work in plan mode using the command line.    It's very time consuming to flip to an isometric view for every double elbow rise/fall 😞

The double elbow is usually used to rise & change direction,  which is also hard to acheive using an isometric 3d view.

Message 6 of 7
Keith.Brown

Works just fine for me in plan view also.  As i mentioned before if you are using the command line then when you input in the relative elevation DO NOT try to put in the exact elevation.  Instead put in a really small value such as 1mm or 1".  The software will place a single elbow either pointed up or down depending on if your input was positive or negative.  Then using your compass change your direction and place your elbow.  You may need to use the plane command to change your planes when changing direction.  This works equally as well in both plan view or isometric view.  Below is a video of working in plan view and getting back to back elbows using the command line.  The second video is working in isometric view and using back to back elbows changing directions both up/down and left/right at the same time.

You can view the videos full screen if you right click on them and open up in a new window.  Watch the command line to see what commands are being used.

Groove X Groove plan.gif

Groove X Groove Iso.gif

Message 7 of 7
jackpritchard

You're right, inputting the really small rise worked.

Thanks a lot for your help!   🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost