Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the most out of mep

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
360 Views, 1 Reply

Getting the most out of mep

I am a sheet metal detailer for a mechanical company. All they have is AutoCad 2011 MEP to draw their shop drawings with. They manually type in the duct fittings with Vulcan. I am looking to get the most out of MEP that I can. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get the most out of it? An example is, I want to draw 2-120" round duct joints with a coupling. Instead, it draws just 1 round duct that is 240" and no options for couplings. Also is there a place online where I can get manufacturers equipment so I can insert them in my drawings as blocks?
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Anonymous

You can set the duct length and have it break into sections of that length by checking Specify cut length on the design tab of the property palette in the Dimensions section at the bottom.  AutoCAD MEP will not automatically insert couplings.

If you are using AutoCAD MEP for sheet metal detailing then be prepaired to create alot of custom content.  There is no real world equipment in the program and most companies do not provide this equipment.  They instead provide revit models.  Because of this I am in the process of placing my manufacturer specific equipment up on the AutoCAD MEP App Exchange website.  I am undecided if i will charge a small fee for the equipment or not as of yet.  If i do then it will not be more than $.99 for each family of equipment where a family would include a size range.  For instance the Titus DESV VAV Box part would contain all sizes of the part.  

Because of the App Exchange policies it will take me probably another month or so to start getting these uploaded.  That is because they require that they be automatically inserted into catalogs and working as soon as you start the program.  This requires some custom programming to get this done.

You might have a look at www.eccadcam.com.  They offer an addon package for AutoCAD MEP that includes automatic downloading to the Vulcan software.  In other words you can take your design in AutoCAD MEP and create a pickoff drawing that can then be downloaded to the vulcan software.  It requires very little human input once the design is complete.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report