Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flex duct take off to air terminal

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
shane
2385 Views, 9 Replies

Flex duct take off to air terminal

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here but I can't figure it out. In MEP 2012 when I click on the add duct grip on an air terminal and connect the terminal to the trunk line I get flex duct as expected but it connects to the bottom of the trunk instead of the side. Take off is 10" round and trunk is 20/20. What am I missing here? How do I get the flex to connect to the side of the trunk as in previous versions?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
shane
in reply to: shane

Any Ideas?

Message 3 of 10
Martin__Schmid

can you post a simple sample file of the 'before', then provide a video demonstrating the steps you are using? (I.e., using Jing)

Something like this: http://screencast.com/t/3xzfiamMzUX 

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 10
Keith.Brown

Out of curiosity, are you using the line, arc or spline method.  I find that the spline option works the best and arc is definately a better solution than line.  Line will take a direct route to the duct and will not allow the flex duct to flex.  It might be worth the time to make sure that this is not what is happening.

Message 5 of 10
Micaletti
in reply to: Keith.Brown

With 2012 just draw a duct and a terminal, then use the terminal's add duct grip to connect to the duct. It always connects to the bottom, in fact it will go out of its way to do so. I dont think it is user error here.

If you use the add flex command and do not use the terminal's add grip, you get a side mounted takeoff as expected.

Message 6 of 10
Martin__Schmid
in reply to: Micaletti

I'm not able to reproduce "It always connects to the bottom"

See linked.. both attach to the side... using CTRL + grip:

http://screencast.com/t/HkbgDiJdigDf

Even in a case where it isn't clear if it should connect to the side or the bottom, it still connects to the side:

http://screencast.com/t/FJcfC05YMbzf 

If you can help provide cases that provide unexpected results, I can get them to Dev and PD to see if it can be made to act more sensibly.

TIA_

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
Micaletti
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

Holding CTRL, then clicking the add grip starts the add flex command. Like I said, that works.

Setting the "Terminal-duct connection" setting to "Flexible" and using the grip without holding CTRL will net you a flex duct and a bottom takeoff.

Message 8 of 10
Martin__Schmid

I definately see different behavior between 2011 and 2012... but not as has been described.

In 2011, I see the flex connects to the side... but in 2012, a connection fails to make... the same drawing is used in both screencaptures... first 2011.. then 2012:

http://screencast.com/t/jHPc7zkX

Can you provide a case where in 2011 it connected to the side, but in 2012 it connects to the bottom?

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
Micaletti
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

In your last video, the 2011 example is connecting to the bottom of the duct, not the side. It will do that no matter the elevation of the two parts.

This is not a problem for me because I do not use the terminal add grips in this way, however it does not look like intended behavior in either example.

If holding CTRL is the intended method, the "Terminal-duct connection" "Flexible" option should not be available, or it should work like CTRL was used.

Regards,

Steven

Message 10 of 10
Martin__Schmid

oops, you're right, I mis-typed it is clearly on the bottom, and that was my point... the prior posts indicated this was only a problem with 2012, but since I am seeing this in 2011, I would expect it to work the same way in 2012.

Additionally, since I am not seeing this in 2012, I'm curious about the posts that indicate it is happening this way in 2012... in what cases is it working that way?

In any event, the behavior is different between 2011 and 2012, and that should be looked into... additionally, I appreciate the feedback that you'd expect it to be consistent with the CTRL method.

Cheers-

MS

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost