Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flattening 3D to 2D

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
bytown
87059 Views, 22 Replies

Flattening 3D to 2D

I've been trying to "Flatten” a 3D file to make it 2D and reduce the file size. I’ve followed the text instructions word for word but with no success. The pipes change in appearance (Pipes now appear Wire framed) but retain their “Z” coordinate and and still 3D if view isometrically. The size of the file went from 18 meg just to 15 meg.
Thanks
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
bd_blues
in reply to: bytown

export to AutoCAD

_AecExportToAutoCAD2007
Message 3 of 23
danecaveman

try a AECTOACAD command (look it up if needed) It normaly takes 3d CAD files and flattens them just fine for our company.

-format

---suffix = 1

enter

enter

enter

(it will create a NEW CAD file where ever the current file was located. so just close out of the current file and go to the same folder it was in and you will see a new file with a "1" after it, open it and it should all be flat)

fyi make sure you are not trying to flatten a block, must BURST it forst.

hope this works for ya.

Message 4 of 23
Schmit01

Also make sure you in your model space and in plan view

Message 5 of 23
Watershape2

The FLATSHOT command is what your looking for, I believe. You have the option to keep hidden lines and put them on a different color and linetype or to leave them off and produce a realistic looking plan view.

If your using MEP objects they won't flatshot (I believe it's only 3D solids that are captured) so you will have to be in an isometric view and use the CONVERTTO3DSOLIDS command.

Message 6 of 23
jdd285

ok so im new to autocad. im using a mac. please help. i have a 3d line drawing of a topo. and im trying to flatten it. i have tried  flatshot but does not seem to help. there are not surfaces just lines. i figured this out when measurements were all messed up. i have have been looking at the file from top view not knowing of the 3d component .. any advice.? 

Message 7 of 23
Schmit01

You cant use flatshot because they are not 3D objects. Try use the flatten command 

Message 8 of 23
jdd285
in reply to: Schmit01

tried to use command: flatten ; nothing happended?

could you try using my file?

Message 9 of 23
Watershape2

Have you tried selecting all the lines and changing they're Z coordinates via the properties window?

I hope that works for you.

Message 10 of 23
jdd285
in reply to: Watershape2

not following.. properties window?

Message 11 of 23
Watershape2

Accessed via the right click menu.

(Edit: Wooops you're on a mac, hmmm I'm not sure how that works with macs)

(Edit2: Entering properties in the command line should do it)

Message 12 of 23
jdd285
in reply to: Watershape2

ok so this is what i have done. i found a friend who has autcad 2008 .. opened the file and command: FLATTEN .... it worked for one file but not the other... I not sure why. any suggestions or anyone willing to try it out? also i would like to find out how to fix this problem without depending on older versions... 

Thanks for all the help.

lets keep trying

Message 13 of 23
Schmit01
in reply to: jdd285

Make sure that the contors you trying to flatten arent locked under your layer manager. I found that to be the case with the file you posted. 

Message 14 of 23
jdd285
in reply to: Schmit01

your correct. the layers were locked however, after unlocking them still could not get it to work.

Message 15 of 23
raajmath
in reply to: jdd285

hey your file need to be unlocked then you can do the flatten

ok

Message 16 of 23
jeff
in reply to: raajmath

Message 17 of 23
%4seasons%
in reply to: jeff

try exploding it while you are on the top view.

Message 18 of 23
%4seasons%
in reply to: %4seasons%

what i suggested was only for MEP  3D objects. i saw your uploaded drawing and i would suggest you to make the start/end z elevation equal. i have tried it and it works (see attached). you have to spend some of your time since you cannot select all in one go so you have to select by group or each line.

Message 19 of 23
gary.stone

Use "SOLPROF" from paper space. This will all sound complicated but once you have done it a time of two, it's a 15 second procedure. I use this command a dozen times every day. It will allow you to show hidden and visible lines.  I create 3D models of everything I design. Then I SOLPROF the model and dimension the resultant profile. Will not work on blocked objects so if you have any object that have been arrayed then separate them first.  Make sure all layers are not locked. Created a layer for hidden lines and a layer for visible lines. I use HID and VIS.  From Paper Space type MS to get temporarily into Model space within Paper Space. Type SOLPROF and select everything you want flattened.  If you are in plan view you will get a plan profile.  If you are in front view you will get a front profile..ETC.  Does not work well with skewed views but can be done. There will be Layers created PV-XXXX and PH-XXXX for Visible and Hidden.  Go to Model Space and you will find two object created at elevation 0. One is the hidden view and one is the visible view. Separate the objects. I move one X" in one direction and the other X". Once the objects are separated you will be able to see which is the visible and which is hidden. Explode the profiles and rename them per the layers you created. Move one profile on top of the other profile and you have a flattened view ready for dimensioning "with" hidden lines.

Message 20 of 23
kiranarch2004

AFTER flattened THE 3d to 2d lines please use OVERKILL &PURGE. To get single line plan. Thanks gery stone it works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost