Fabrication CADmep Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fabrication CADmep Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fabrication CADmep topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster way of Spooling pipe in CADMEP & Revit

79 REPLIES 79
Message 1 of 80
Anonymous
5237 Views, 79 Replies

Faster way of Spooling pipe in CADMEP & Revit

Hi, my company is after a way of taking a model & wanting to produce detailed spool drawings of pipe by the click of a button. At the moment we use the CADMEP spooling process to get our flange to flange spools onto their own tab. We then have to put dimensions in paperspace & any other notes manually. All of our pipe is drawn in CADMEP or Revit.

I would like to know if Autodesk (or if there is any other product) can create a drawing like the one attached by a simple click of a button. We will also be wanting to do a similar process in Revit. We will have thousands of spools to do next year & don't want to be spending too much time on the spooloing process of pipework.

Hopefully there is an answer. Thanks.

79 REPLIES 79
Message 2 of 80
Backnblack
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm positive the answer you got over at Xtracad are the only viable answers.

Message 3 of 80
Anonymous

For any type of Process Piping or Plumbing there are far better packages out there!  Its a push of a button and drop all the Iso's you want!  Automatically dimensioned,  I am using MEP Fabrication now what a joke after using Cadworx with Isogen Or Autoplant and even Plant3D.  Having to hand dimension in autocad in 2016 my goodness. I was dropping Isos back in 1996 with Isogen hundreds at a time.  And have it customized to produce almost 95% no touch.

Fabrication is a very slow slow process for ISOS!

Cadworx with Isogen 

Autoplant with Isogen

Plant3D

Message 4 of 80
Anonymous

cool.

this thread is almost 2 years old.

why aren't you using cadworx anymore?

Message 5 of 80
Anonymous

Oil gas is in a down slide not many Cadworx job so doing Commercial. Mep Fabercation it's a slow process and the Isos suck
Message 6 of 80
AHepker_HOB

I've been a Fabrication user for quite some time now, and with the correct tools, the Fabrication iso process is not that challenging or time consuming. I also think that, when done correctly, the isos produced by Fabrication are certainly more aesthetically pleasing than anything I've ever seen produced by Isogen or Plant3D.

That being said, Autodesk has been working towards Isogen/Plant 3D support from Fabrication for some time now. The 2017 release of Fabrication drastically increased PCF Skey options on CID patterns. Also, the 2016 release of Revit added support for using Fabrication ITM files to create Revit Families, meaning that you should be able to maintain a single database of parts for both platforms.

I am currently producing single line isos out of Plant3D with all model content being generated in Fabrication, and although it has been a bit of a challenge, there is definitely opportunity out there. I am currently working on documenting that process and will be posting more information on it as I have time. *Enter shameless plug* Feel free to check out the blog over at www.houseofbim.com/blog where I will be providing a fairly comprehensive write-up on the topic.

Check out our blog @ HouseOfBIM.com
Message 7 of 80
Anonymous
in reply to: AHepker_HOB

I guess u have never seen Isogen ISO's done by someone who knows what there doing. You are so wrong!! U don't have a clue when adjusted they are great and almost 95% no touch.

Sent from my iPhone 6 PLUS
Message 8 of 80
AHepker_HOB

I agree that I haven't seen isos that were produced by someone who knows what they are doing, and I also agree that they are substantially faster. That is why we are currently developing a process that allows us to continue to use the platform that we have the most expertise in while leveraging the speed and accuracy of automated iso production. Unfortunately for me, most of the isos I've received that have been produced by isogen were produced by engineers working in Microstation. They understand process well, but typically fall somewhat short from a constructability standpoint.
If you'd be willing to point me in the direction of any decent information on isogen setup, is certainly appreciate it.
Message 9 of 80
Anonymous

can you post a iso done by someone who knows what they're doing?

Id like to know where I've been going wrong with my fabrication spools all these years.

thanks

Message 10 of 80
JHoward_HOB

I would also like to see some examples of perfect PCF's. I know we have had to fight Plant 3D tooth & nail on various things. We are currently in an ISOgen conversion that I hope will prove much better suited for our industry; which is biopharmaceutical.

Although, if you take a look at these (redacted) attached 3D spool examples, then I am sure you can understand just how much we are asking out of 2D isometric generation.

Message 11 of 80
Anonymous

2D Isos are the industry standard in oil/gas and many other industries. I find these Isos look silly. How long to do 1 of these to long! U had to place the ref dim in by hand Cadworx does this automatically with Isogen when u have 1000 and 1000 of Isos to drop ur system is very archaic and so so time consuming.
Message 12 of 80
Anonymous

I suggest u get in contact with Jason the Plant 3D guy at Kp eng he has there Isos coming out fantastic
Message 13 of 80
Anonymous

How many of ur call outs were done by hand editing
Isogen are all automatic no touch
Message 14 of 80
Anonymous

Give u some tips. Try reading the manual
Message 15 of 80
JHoward_HOB

I am starting to wonder if Sail854 is the Autodesk version of Liz.

Anyway, we have developed enough automation tools over the years that it really doesn't take a lot of effort to make one of those spools. I think we have every piece of individual annotation down to just 2 or 3 clicks. The length of time varies widely based on congestion, but a typical spool (start to plotted) is 10 minutes or less for someone intimately familiar with our tools. Still not on par with a generator, but comparable and personally I think they convey what is going on much better than a 2D ISO ever could. Not the point and we are definitively switching everything to 2D, but based on what I've experienced I am fairly certain Plant3D is not currently capable of consistently spitting out no-touch ISO's in our line of work.

Message 16 of 80
Anonymous
in reply to: JHoward_HOB

Ur a complete idiot and take ur comment about Liz and stick it up ur ****

I've been using Isogen since 1996 I can batch out hundreds of Isos at a time or more

Ur just a want to be. I gave u info on a guy who has customized Plant

Sent from my iPhone
Message 17 of 80
Anonymous

U are so full of **** 10 minutes per ISO once u learn the tools
No ****ing way with Mep fab.

Message 18 of 80
Anonymous

The key element to modeling in regards to Isos is put all the info into the model so "everything" come out on the ISO
All call outs continuations and having the title block completely filled out with everything also paint spec pi&d
Pipe spec draw ref No touch

Wake up
Message 19 of 80
Anonymous

10 Isos in an hour wow what a joke I could batch out a 1000 with a push of a button

U have no clue what goes on in the real world of piping design and ISO production
Message 20 of 80
Anonymous

Mep fab for BioPharm my goodness what a mistake

I've used both Autoplant and Cadworx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report