Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXPORTING AUTOCAD MEP 2014 COMPONENTS (e.g. DUCTS) TO IGES

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
389 Views, 2 Replies

EXPORTING AUTOCAD MEP 2014 COMPONENTS (e.g. DUCTS) TO IGES

I need to export my AutoCAD MEP to IGES because our client uses SolidWorks.  Previously, our client has exported to IGES and I imported the IGES file to .dwg format successfully.  Great!

When I export my 3D AutoCAD MEP 2014 model to IGES, I select the location, select the objects to export.  I then don’t get a message and no file is created.

I then export some individually different types of objects, e.g. 3d solid, duct or duct fitting, block (drawn in 3D), array (not -array), and for those that did create successfully, I got the following results upon importing back into .dwg format:

Array (anonymous blocks, *U123) — no problem

Block (drawn in 3D), including block in a block, whether uniformaly scaled or not — no problem

Supply Duct — “Specified file is invalid or unsupported”

Multi-view part (Volume Control Damper) — “Specified file is invalid or unsupported”

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance!

Tim.

P.S.:  We are under a non-disclosure agreement so I cannot upload the project that I am working on.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Laks-Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

I believe you're using the IGESEXPORT command to export the entities to .igs or .iges file format. This should work well with most of AutoCAD objects. List of all the supported entities is available in the IGESEXPORT conversion table section in Help.

Regards,
Lakshminarasimhan Seshadri
Autodesk
Message 3 of 3
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Laks-Autodesk

You might try converting your AutoCAD MEP Design to 3D solids first using the CONVERTTO3DSOLIDS command.  If you chose to delete the original objects (you should) just make sure you are working in a copy of the original design.  You don't want to accidently delete all of the MEP objects in your drawing and then save it.  You will have no way of getting them back.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost