AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

msierens
Message 1 of 7 (1,407 Views)

Electrical - Hangers

1407 Views, 6 Replies
01-25-2012 07:52 AM

Working on my second BIM project and this general contractor is requiring us to show all our hangers on our conduit racks.  What is the best way to show hangers?

Sorry for the question but I don't see any hangers in my available tool list.

Thanks in advance.

Valued Contributor
jcleghorn
Message 2 of 7 (1,395 Views)

Re: Electrical - Hangers

01-26-2012 11:16 AM in reply to: msierens

I take it your an electrical contractor sub to the general. The general probably wants the hangers to coordinate with the other trades in MEP. There are some hanger options in MEP and if you search this site you can find them, but I have found the easiest means is to make a block with threaded rod as a solid and a strut block. B-line has some great strut and assembly drawings to use as a profile to build a strut but Kindorf or Unistrut do also.

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 3 of 7 (1,364 Views)

02-02-2012 07:02 PM in reply to: msierens

msierens wrote:

Working on my second BIM project and this general contractor is requiring us to show all our hangers on our conduit racks.  What is the best way to show hangers?

Sorry for the question but I don't see any hangers in my available tool list.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a drawing that has some trapeze hanger styles that I created in it.  You will need to use the hangeradd command before you go to the style manager in order to see them.  In addition, in the default MEP template, hangers are turned off in the display configurations.  You will need to turn them on in order to see them.  I believe the following hangers are in the drawing:

1.625 x 1.0 Unistrut with .375 Rod

1.625 x 1.0 Unistrut with .500 Rod

1.625 x 1.0 Unistrut with .625 Rod

1.625 x 1.375 Unistrut with .375 Rod

1.625 x 1.375 Unistrut with .500 Rod

1.625 x 1.375 Unistrut with .625 Rod

1.625 x 1.625 Unistrut with .375 Rod

1.625 x 1.625 Unistrut with .500 Rod

1.625 x 1.625 Unistrut with .625 Rod

There is also 2.0 x 2.0 Angle Iron and 3.0 x 3.0 Angle Iron and Rod Sizes from .375 to 1.0 that you can use to make other combinations.  You will just need to go into the style manager->multi purpose objects->hangers and create new combinations.

Keith Brown AutoCAD MEP BLOG | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 | Revit 2014 | EastCoast CAD/CAM V6.1 | Visual Studio 2013
────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate. Thank you!
msierens
Message 4 of 7 (1,349 Views)

02-03-2012 12:49 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

Awesome!  Just what I was looking for.

MS

wregotti
Message 5 of 7 (1,118 Views)

05-30-2012 07:59 AM in reply to: Keith.Brown

I love this! Is it possible to anchor multiple conduits to each hanger? What if they were on strut where that was cut in standard cut lengths (1/2 stick, 1/4, full stick with 3 rods)? I appoligize if this sounds greedy. Thank you for the file. I've just always thought that a rack based approach to conduits/pipe was the way it should be. Does anyone have a script to grab a bunch of different size conduits that are on a rack and set all their top or bottom elevations the same?

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 6 of 7 (1,112 Views)

05-30-2012 08:10 AM in reply to: wregotti

Yes, more conduits can be anchored to the hanger.  It might be better to anchor them to the original conduit though.  To do this you would use the AecObjectAnchorAttach command and select the objects to anchor and then select the object to anchor to.  Objects can only anchor to one other object but an object can have unlimited amount of objects anchoring to it.

As far as the 1/2 stick, 1/4 stick, you will just have to set the length when you insert the hanger.  Unfortunately you cannot automatically add a third rod.  You can though create the third rod in the correct place by using the beamadd command and choosing the correct rod size as your style.  You could then anchor the rod to the hanger and it will now move with the hanger.  Its not automatic but it does work.

Keith Brown AutoCAD MEP BLOG | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 | Revit 2014 | EastCoast CAD/CAM V6.1 | Visual Studio 2013
────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate. Thank you!
Valued Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 7 of 7 (463 Views)

02-01-2014 01:48 PM in reply to: msierens

Keith - 

How did you create the slots? I tried to reverse-engineer the process to create these for my own combinatins, but I can't seem to figure that out!

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.