Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

displaying 3d objects

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Vincent1967
538 Views, 9 Replies

displaying 3d objects

i have a drawing where the ductwork is running above the lights and the lighting support grid. When in plan mode looking down, the ductwork is shown to be below the lights and support grid. Yet if I look at the view slightly off from vertical it displays correctly with the lights and grid shown below the ductowrk. Why is the diplay in plan showing the ductwork hidden below the lights?

Just to clarify the ductwork is above the lights and support grid. The current view is 0,0,1 so I am looking down on the ductwork.

the attached pdf shows the drg. the left view is at a slight angle and shows the green ductwork above the brown light and yellow support frame

the right view shows the plan view with the ductwork appearing to run below the brown light and yellow support structure.

The light and support structure were created as solids. The ductwrok is created using MEP 2013

I amk sure it is a simple setting but I am at a loss, please please please help me!!!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
s.lawrence
in reply to: Vincent1967

Run OBJERELUPDATE and select the offending parts, see if that helps.

Stu

Message 3 of 10
Vincent1967
in reply to: s.lawrence

hi Stu, how do I run OBJERELUPDATE I have tried typing the command in, but I get "" Unknown Command "OBJERELUPDATE". Press F1 for help.""  reply.

Message 4 of 10
nestly2

SHould be OBJRELUPDATE, not OBJERELUPDATE

Message 5 of 10
Vincent1967
in reply to: nestly2

thanks for the correct spelling, It didn't make any difference though.

Message 6 of 10
Vincent1967

what I meant was, the command worked, but it didn't make any difference to the display on my model.

Message 7 of 10
nestly2

I'm pretty new to MEP and still figuring out the Display System myself, but I'd be happy to take a look if you can post just that portion of the drawing.

*note; the forums are having an intermittent issue with uploading .dwg files, if you encounter it, put the file in a .zip.

Message 8 of 10
Vincent1967

ok, here is the dwg file, good luck, Vince

Message 9 of 10
nestly2

Ok, I understand enough to know what's going on, but the correct way to fix is another matter.

In Plan view (MEP Design Configuration), all AEC objects (Ducts, Air Terminals, etc) are displayed as 2D representations at 0 elevation.  Your light blocks are not MEP objects, so they're displayed at their true elevation.  If you switch to another display representation such as Basic 2 line, the lights will appear "under" the ducts.  I "think" the solution is to convert your light blocks into MEP objects (I think lights are "Devices")   To verify, I used MVPARTCONVERT on just one of your lights to turn it into a MVPART and it seemed to be working correctly. 

Hopefully, a more experienced MEP user will see this topic and correct any mistakes in my analysis.

Message 10 of 10
Vincent1967

thanks Nestly, I shall attempt to fix it tomorrow, if I can work out how to create the light as an object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost