Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Manager for Sistem Definitiion

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
goyete
876 Views, 34 Replies

Display Manager for Sistem Definitiion

Hello, is it possible to filter the the display for sistems defintions? I have a system where I include hot water pipings and another system where contains cold water piping and fittings. I don't find where can I display only one of this systems or both at a time. Thanks!

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
VitalyF
in reply to: goyete

Hello,

You did not try to put the systems in different files?

And groups them together with the architectural plan only for tracing.

In the "Views" tab to collect them in various combinations

(sorry for my english)

Message 3 of 35
goyete
in reply to: VitalyF

Thank you very much VitalyF, sometimes the "big problems" are solved with small solutions. The truth is I had not thought about working every system in separate files because I'm getting used to working with ProjectManager. Normally I have always worked in a single file and turning on and off layers.

Otherwise agree, the picture that attached not know where I can control the spaces left in AutoCAD MEP pipe intersections. Yes I've seen that line is the option of "Crossings" through StyleManager / Schematic Objects / Schematioc Line Styles / Annotation but can not find pipe. In the picture I refer to where the cursor is located, for example at the junction between the red and blue piping.

My English is as good as the one that makes Google Translate, heh, heh!

Thank you!

Message 4 of 35
Keith.Brown

What you are asking for can be done using the display manager, style manager and style overrides.  I will need to research how to do it exactly but i know with 100 percent certainty it can be done.

Message 5 of 35
goyete
in reply to: Keith.Brown

For piping, style overrides doesn't affect to what I'm saying. This changes color and other things for piping and custom fittings, but not the crossing spaces. Or I can't find it...

Message 6 of 35
Keith.Brown

I might have misunderstood what you wanted but here is a sample drawing that turns systems on and off depending on what Display Representation you are in.  This took roughly 5 minutes to setup.  There would be more work involved to use in a production environment as currently this is setup to only work in plan view and only with the Hot and Cold Water Systems.  All other systems are ignored but it does show proof of concept for the two systems.

Message 7 of 35
VitalyF

Hi,

Try command INTERFERENCEDETECTIONTOGGLE

Help >> About Viewing and Resolving Interferences

This allows you to find conflict through xref!

Use multiple systems in a single file is not a good idea...

Message 8 of 35
Tom_Eitelbach

I would also like to share a drawing with Keith's concept.

With electrical you have a similar problem that is already taken care of out of the box. They give you power and lighting display reps. all the new devices you build have to have a power or lighting "Device type Classification" attached to them or it will not work in the display manager.

In the attached drawing I added, under manage<multipurpose objects<classifications. The pipe visibility classification. I attached the classification to the pipes in the drawing from the extended tab of the properties pallet.

I also copied the MEP Design display rep, and pasted it twice. one for Domestic and one for Med gas in the display and the sets folder. I changed the Pipe visibility pick boxes for both, to shut off the other system depending on the display representation.

I can explain further if you like. I don't have time to explain it in better this morning, but the drawing should get you going.

I only wish this technique would work for wires, otherwise I have to keep lighting and power drawings separate.

Message 9 of 35
Keith.Brown

@VitalyF wrote:

Use multiple systems in a single file is not a good idea...

Hi Vitaly.  ,

I think you should expand on this a little bit.  What do you mean by not a good idea.  AutoCAD MEP was designed to draw with multiple systems in the same drawing.  System designers have been modeling this way for years without any issues.  For instance, take a sheet metal drawing with a medium pressure supply system that supplies air to VAV boxes.  Immediately after the VAV boxes the system will become a low pressure system.  Designers would never break this low pressure system into a new drawing.  It doesnt make sense.  The only way i see that this makes sense is in the electrical discipline.  Were you speaking of electrical systems when you wrote that statement?

Message 10 of 35
VitalyF

Hi,

Keith, t.eitelbah, we talked about the Pipes, but not HVAC

Can attach the Pipe project with multi-system by file? 

I use multiple systems in a single file only in a hopeless situation... 

Message 11 of 35
goyete

Thaks, it works good but for example in your DWG, when you hide one system, the connectors still apears in the screen and it's annoying. Althought, this is a good option!

Message 12 of 35
goyete
in reply to: Tom_Eitelbach

I also check this and I also tried this option but you have problems, for examploe, with labels in the piping becouse you can't assign the system of the label and you can't hide or show labels for each system (yes all the labels for all systems).

Message 13 of 35
Keith.Brown

@goyete wrote:

Thaks, it works good but for example in your DWG, when you hide one system, the connectors still apears in the screen and it's annoying. Althought, this is a good option!

You can turn them off by going to the view tab on the ribbon.  Also they are visual only and do not print.

Message 14 of 35
Keith.Brown

@goyete wrote:

I also check this and I also tried this option but you have problems, for examploe, with labels in the piping becouse you can't assign the system of the label and you can't hide or show labels for each system (yes all the labels for all systems).

There are no problems only more criteria to determine a solution!  

I personally dont use labels but use tags instead and have written custom .net solutions to place the tags on the same layer as the pipe with "-text" at the end.  With this solution it is a minor inconvenience to shut off the layer if need be.

With that being said, you can also use layers to filter out your systems.  Just make sure that your systems are on different layers and then setup layer filters to display the layers that you want.

Finally it is certainly possible to assign a label to the system that it is attached to.  All you have to do is check the layer key style box.  Additionally you can add the layer key override to add "-text" to the end of the layer as i mentioned above.

Label Curve Style.png

Message 15 of 35
Keith.Brown

VitalyF wrote:

I use multiple systems in a single file only in a hopeless situation...  

I am having difficulty trying to figure out what is a hopeless situation.  I still cannot figure out why you think it is hopeless to have different systems in the same file.  For instance, take a mechanical room that might have 18 different systems in it.  On one side of a pump would be a return system and on the other side would be the supply system.  Why is it necessary to seperate these systems into seperate drawings when they can perfectly co-exist in a single drawing.

I am not discounting what you are saying, i am just trying to understand why.

Message 16 of 35
VitalyF

Hi,,

Too much body movement and problems with multi-system in a single file, for example, when printing project...

Add to that the hide annotations, labels, dimensions and synchronization of display configuration, etc. etc.

Use tables with formulas groupings of objects is also a problem.

The main thing I do not see any problems with a single system for a single file!!!

However, if it's convenient in some cases can create a single file multisystems

It all depends on the situation

PS

You often refer to the Net application, attach at least one of them, that your concept has been popular

Message 17 of 35
Keith.Brown

VitalyF wrote:

You often refer to the Net application, attach at least one of them, that your concept has been popular

I am working on getting them up on the Autodesk Exchange Website so eventually they will all get up there.  While good enough for my own work I need to make sure that they do not introduce any issues into the drawing.

Message 18 of 35
VitalyF

Ok!
Message 19 of 35
goyete

Thanks for all the information! I will try different options with multiple system and managing it troug override styles and with one system in each construct (VitalyF solution)... What about the black spaces in crossings in Plan Model like the image I attached? Can I control the black spaces like in an Schematic Line trough Crossings/BreakOVerlap Paper Width or is it impossible and it's a default value in AutoCAD??

Message 20 of 35
Keith.Brown

Display Control.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost