Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display - Configuration, Set, Representation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bytown
1263 Views, 3 Replies

Display - Configuration, Set, Representation

I'm having a very hard time understanding how to us the (Display - Configuration, Set, Representation) effectively.

Is there anyone out there who can explain it's us to me. I'm a new user and the book I have doesn't explain it well.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rmiller1973
in reply to: bytown

The display configuration is complex but can be explain like this:

The Configurations are the front end of it all, sort of like a device that has information for a plan view 2D block and a model view 3D block. The Configuration is what you set on the lower lefthand side of AutoCAD. The primary role is to pull in the Sets that might be used. They also are able to manipulate the Cut Plane level.

Using the device senario from earlier, the Sets would be the blocks that are used in a particular device. If you look at the Standard configuration as an example, you will see it holds two Sets - the 'Model' and 'Plan'. Within those Sets each object is defined to use the appropriate Display Representation.

Again sticking with the same device senario the Representation by Objects can be viewed as the linework that makes up the blocks. The biggest difference is that each object may have multiple ways of displaying the same linework. For example, a pipe can display as single line, double line, plan (whic can in turn be displayed as single or double based on the pipe sizing style manager settings) or 3D model (effectively double line). It can also be displayed as a screened version of those four settings and a Plan Presentation setting ... using screened might be appropriate for coordination purposes where you want the object type to display but be presented as more of an afterthought.

Within the Display Representations you will notice the components that create the style. The Plan style for pipes holds single line and double line model information. This is really where the rubber meets the road and deciding what to make visible, or invisible. as well as what color overrides, layer overrides and linetype overrides to use is the most time consuming process.

Setting up a well constructed Display Configuration might take some trial and error. I found that it will likely take several pass throughs before a workable set of Display Configurations can be created. I hope this helps out some ...

Rob

Message 3 of 4
bytown

Thanks Rob

That was a great help. I'm now in hot persuit and can see the light in the distance.

I haven't heard of the term "device" was it introduced after acad 2004?

thanks again

Message 4 of 4
rmiller1973

Sorry, I was referring to an electrical device (ie, switch or electrical outlet) which out of all of the MEP object types are probably one of the easiest to understand how they are created. I think they have had them for sometime ... with that said, I'm not sure if older versions of ABS/MEP worked exactly the same way as the more recent version though (2008-2012).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost