Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Parts

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
alexxn
907 Views, 6 Replies

Custom Parts

Hi everyone!

I want to know how to save custom parts in different locations, I don't want them to be saved just in my computer. I want them to be same in one of my drives, that way somebody else can have access to my custom catalog. 

Can anybody help me here please!

Thanks,
Alex

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: alexxn

Autocad MEP ships with a program called CatalogExplorer that is available from the manage tab on the ribbon.  It will allow you to move fittings from one catalog to another.  It will also allow you to create a new catalog that you can place on a networked hardd rive.  Then in the options of Autocad MEP you can just load the catalog from the networked drive.

The help file contains alot of good information on how to do this.

Message 3 of 7
alexxn
in reply to: Keith.Brown

I don't want to move fittings from one catalog to another, I want the program to save my custom parts in my network drive automatically. I don't want to make a custom part and then go back to the catalog and move them to my catalog.

Message 4 of 7
alexxn

Also, I been trying to figure out where you can load the catalog, yeah I know that  in AutoCAD MEP options, but where?

Thanks Keith!

Message 5 of 7
Keith.Brown

The program cannot do that.  You are either going to have to move your catalog to the network drive or you are going to have to create a new catalog and copy the parts over.

You can also create a new catalog on the network drive and when you create the new parts you can create it in the new catalog.  Any parts that you have previously created will stay in the old catalog due to you not wanting to move them.

I am sorry but those are the only options that MEP has.  Copy the entire existing catalog, create a new catalog and copy your custom fittings to the new catalog, or create a new catalog and create all new custom parts in the new catalog.

If you are unwilling to move a catalog, create a catalog, or copy a part from an existing catalog then you have zero options.

Btw, creating a new catalog, and copying the parts over takes a total of 5 min depending on how many parts you have.  All existing tool palettes with parts on them and parts in existing drawings will find the parts in the new location just fine.  The only issue you might run into is if you have custom .net programming that is looking for a part in a specific catalog.

Message 6 of 7
Keith.Brown

@alexxn wrote:

Also, I been trying to figure out where you can load the catalog, yeah I know that  in AutoCAD MEP options, but where?

Thanks Keith!@Keith.Brown

catalogs.png

Message 7 of 7
alexxn

Thanks buddy! 
Have a great day Man Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost