AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

AutoCAD MEP General Discussion

Reply
Contributor
jonathanburkett8252
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎12-03-2003
Message 1 of 4 (88 Views)

Custom Mvparts

88 Views, 3 Replies
07-21-2003 09:44 PM
A friend of mine made several custom diffusers. They insert fine into the drawing when I use the _AecbMvPartAdd command and navigate through the dialog box to find the parts. (They were put in a new folder when created.) But when I type "Type" while the commande is running and enter the folder name it says type not found. When I type "?" it lists the standard 29 types, but not the new folder. Is there a way to make the folder show up on the command line? Or is the only way to insert these objects to use the dialog box that pops up? Thanks.
*[Autodesk], jason martin
Message 2 of 4 (88 Views)

Re: Custom Mvparts

07-21-2003 10:02 PM in reply to: jonathanburkett8252
Types <> Folders. When the diffusers were created your friend had to specify
a Type for the diffusers. If you find out what type was used you can use
that to narrow down the choices to only objects of that type. You cannot add
to the type list. You can, however add subtypes to the list and filter based
on those.

hth

jason

"ImaJayhawk" wrote in message
news:f179a86.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> A friend of mine made several custom diffusers. They insert fine into the
drawing when I use the _AecbMvPartAdd command and navigate through the
dialog box to find the parts. (They were put in a new folder when created.)
But when I type "Type" while the commande is running and enter the folder
name it says type not found. When I type "?" it lists the standard 29 types,
but not the new folder. Is there a way to make the folder show up on the
command line? Or is the only way to insert these objects to use the dialog
box that pops up? Thanks.
*Mike
Message 3 of 4 (88 Views)

Re:

07-21-2003 10:27 PM in reply to: jonathanburkett8252
I know this should probably be in the bldg.systems.wishes group, but while
you brought up the subject, thought I would comment on it. It would be a
BIG plus to be able to add to the Types. Not only that, but adding
Materials, gauge, and other things in the new catalogs seems to have gotten
more difficult. I would like to be able to do more of those things directly
in the catalog editor. A lot of the materials and gauges I just copy the
chapters and change those things, say from a PVC Glued to a SVCI Socket etc.
It seems that I have a lot of hit and misses doing it in this latest
release. What is the easiest way to add new materials, gauges etc to the
overall catalog?

Thanks,
Mike


"jason martin [Autodesk]" wrote in message
news:7EA83DAE9498BA0A6F61B4FA9C89F070@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Types <> Folders. When the diffusers were created your friend had to
specify
> a Type for the diffusers. If you find out what type was used you can use
> that to narrow down the choices to only objects of that type. You cannot
add
> to the type list. You can, however add subtypes to the list and filter
based
> on those.
>
> hth
>
> jason
>
> "ImaJayhawk" wrote in message
> news:f179a86.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > A friend of mine made several custom diffusers. They insert fine into
the
> drawing when I use the _AecbMvPartAdd command and navigate through the
> dialog box to find the parts. (They were put in a new folder when
created.)
> But when I type "Type" while the commande is running and enter the folder
> name it says type not found. When I type "?" it lists the standard 29
types,
> but not the new folder. Is there a way to make the folder show up on the
> command line? Or is the only way to insert these objects to use the dialog
> box that pops up? Thanks.
>
>
*[Autodesk], jason martin
Message 4 of 4 (88 Views)

Re:

07-22-2003 02:13 AM in reply to: jonathanburkett8252
Hi Mike -

Yes, I agree that being able to add types would be nice, but we are starting
to introduce additional functionality based on the type list. In plumbing
for example, the fixture units tab only shows up for specific types of
parts, the same is true of diffusers and the flow tab. If you could provide
some of the types that you think would be important maybe we can add them to
the type list?

The functionality of catalog editor has changed. You are not able to do as
much with it as you were in releases 1 and 2. The reason for this is because
there were a number of people who destroyed their catalogs using catalog
editor. It would let you do, basically anything that you wanted. There are
now "limits" place on catalog editor's functionality, in an attempt to keep
people from completely destroying their catalog without knowing what they
are doing. Have you been having trouble with catalog editor not "saving
changes" or is it just a lack of functionality that is bothering you?

jason

"Mike" wrote in message
news:8BE5358C287FE044521E16B3DD6961F8@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I know this should probably be in the bldg.systems.wishes group, but while
> you brought up the subject, thought I would comment on it. It would be a
> BIG plus to be able to add to the Types. Not only that, but adding
> Materials, gauge, and other things in the new catalogs seems to have
gotten
> more difficult. I would like to be able to do more of those things
directly
> in the catalog editor. A lot of the materials and gauges I just copy the
> chapters and change those things, say from a PVC Glued to a SVCI Socket
etc.
> It seems that I have a lot of hit and misses doing it in this latest
> release. What is the easiest way to add new materials, gauges etc to the
> overall catalog?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
>
> "jason martin [Autodesk]" wrote in message
> news:7EA83DAE9498BA0A6F61B4FA9C89F070@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Types <> Folders. When the diffusers were created your friend had to
> specify
> > a Type for the diffusers. If you find out what type was used you can use
> > that to narrow down the choices to only objects of that type. You cannot
> add
> > to the type list. You can, however add subtypes to the list and filter
> based
> > on those.
> >
> > hth
> >
> > jason
> >
> > "ImaJayhawk" wrote in message
> > news:f179a86.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > A friend of mine made several custom diffusers. They insert fine into
> the
> > drawing when I use the _AecbMvPartAdd command and navigate through the
> > dialog box to find the parts. (They were put in a new folder when
> created.)
> > But when I type "Type" while the commande is running and enter the
folder
> > name it says type not found. When I type "?" it lists the standard 29
> types,
> > but not the new folder. Is there a way to make the folder show up on the
> > command line? Or is the only way to insert these objects to use the
dialog
> > box that pops up? Thanks.
> >
> >
>
>
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.