Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COP and BOP Tags are returning nominal pipe size, not actual

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
DallasManhattan
3668 Views, 3 Replies

COP and BOP Tags are returning nominal pipe size, not actual

When inserting the COP and BOP tags that came with the default set up, The result is returning the locations based on the nominal pipe size.  It used to return the location based on the actual pipe size.  Is there a way to set it back to actual size?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

hmm,  well, the COP pipe tag should report the same whether it is reporting the nominal diameter or the actual diameter.  The center of pipe should be the same for both.  The Bottom of Pipe and Top of Pipe tags should be affected by the nominal diameter vs the actual diameter though.  In the property sets, actual diameter is reported by the height parameter.  If you click on the Manage tab, then the style manager button the style manager should open up.  Once it is open, expand the documentation objects section and then the property set definitions section.  Click on PipeObject and then click on Definition tab in the right pane.  If you scroll down to look at the BottomofPipeCalc and the TopofPipeCalc, the formula should read by default for bottom of pipe:  [PipeObject:LocationZ]-PipeObject:Height]/2-[PipeObject:insulationThickness]and for top of pipe:  [PipeObject:LocationZ]+PipeObject:Height]/2+[PipeObject:insulationThickness].  So the formula is basically taking the center elevation of the pipe and subtracting the half the height and the insulation thickness to find the bottom of pipe elevation and taking the center elevation of the pipe and adding half of the height and the insulation thickness to find the top of pipe.  Your default tags should look like this.  If they do not then someone has messed with your template and changed the information.  You can change it back just by editing the source column.

By the way, looking at the formulas you can see that the tags actually read bottom of insulation and top of insulation if the insulation thickness is anything other than zero.  If you remove the insulation thickness section from the formulas, the tags will always read the top and bottom of pipe and ignore insulation thickness.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the Reply.

I found that the value is based on the format used in the Property Set Definitions.

There is another section under style manager -> documentation objects called Property Data Formats.

Within Property Data Formats I was able to change the precision of the value.

In my opinion TOP and BOP should return the actaul pipe value with out insulation.

Someone working in the field may not know it includes the insulation thickness and install some work incorrectly.

I've made my own two definitions using "T.O.Insul" and "B.O.Insul" terms instead for clarity.

Thanks Again

D

Message 4 of 4

Which area did you adjust? I have adjust all of them and the Standard set and still AutoCAD MEP is rounding and not reporting the fractional part of the BOP:

Please advise.

Scotty

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost