Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting SprinkCAD drawings to AutoCAD MEP

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
grumpygrizzly
1923 Views, 6 Replies

Converting SprinkCAD drawings to AutoCAD MEP

I think it's SprinkCad, maybe Fire Sprink.. Made by a company in Phoenix anyway.

The files it produces are useless in Autocad MEP and NavisWorks both.  I haven't been able to find any object enablers for it so all you can really find out about a section of pipe is the centerline.  No diameter, no length, nothing.. 

Useless but, the sprinkler guys love it for how easy it is to use.

Load up a busy sprinkler drawing in Autocad MEP and watch your progress grind to a miserable crawl.   

I was thinking of converting or even drawing right over top of the fire sprinkler piping so we can at least turn it off and still have data we need for designing the rest of the disciplines.  

Does anyone else have a better solution for working with these files?

Their website is locked down to registered users of the software only.

Any ideas?

Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pothman
in reply to: grumpygrizzly

I'm not familiar with the types of objects or entities that this other software company creates. Can you attach the drawing or a portion of the drawing to this post?

If I understand what you want, you can view the file fine but you can't get information from the objects. Is that correct? Depending on what the objects are, there may not be anyway to get the data without their software but I'll be happy to take a look at the file and see if I can find any way of getting data out of it.

Dave Pothier

Message 3 of 7

A little late, I know.  I am a sprinkCAD user.  Your right, it is a 2d program, but it does hydraulic calcs and fabrication lists that you cannot do with MEP.  I think what you are looking for is a 3D file that you can use in Navis works. Sprinkcad has a command to convert the 2d file to 3D for use in navisworks.  It works very well for coordination and 3D as-builts.  The user can also purchase BiMport to export sprinkCAD flies to a file which can be inserted into your revit model.  I'll agree that the program is not as flashy as alot of the 3d software out there for construction, but the right user can make it do just about whatever is needed.

Message 4 of 7

hi can you please share me the command used for converting 2D to 3D in sprinkcad.

Thanks & Regards

Vinoth.K

Message 5 of 7

please boss required me the sprinkcad software

@grumpygrizzlywrote:

I think it's SprinkCad, maybe Fire Sprink.. Made by a company in Phoenix anyway.

The files it produces are useless in Autocad MEP and NavisWorks both.  I haven't been able to find any object enablers for it so all you can really find out about a section of pipe is the centerline.  No diameter, no length, nothing.. 

Useless but, the sprinkler guys love it for how easy it is to use.

Load up a busy sprinkler drawing in Autocad MEP and watch your progress grind to a miserable crawl.   

I was thinking of converting or even drawing right over top of the fire sprinkler piping so we can at least turn it off and still have data we need for designing the rest of the disciplines.  

Does anyone else have a better solution for working with these files?

Their website is locked down to registered users of the software only.

Any ideas?

Message 6 of 7
csider
in reply to: umerkhattak.revit

The command you are looking for is the "Write 3D" under the spk-3d model tab.

image.png

Message 7 of 7
akaterr55
in reply to: grumpygrizzly

I just took a job where I get to downgrade from AutoSPRINK to SprinkCAD. It appears to be a 2D program. It is an AutoCAD piggyback. Everything is drawn flat with forced elevations and slopes. AutoSPRINK uses the Symmetrica cad engine which is native 3D. There does appear to be an export to 3D in SprinkCAD. Not sure yet what the result is. I have Received piping drawings drawn in Revit converted to AutoCAD where they look like surface meshes partially converted to something??? Those were practically impossible to tell centerline and there was absolutely no indication of pipe sizes. Other than textual tags, i’m doubting there will be any kind of “smart “objects from which data can be retrieved from either program when converted to AutoCAD. At least in the version of autoSprink I have, I know that it simply makes surface meshes (blocked in the case of actual parts other than pipe) once converted to vanilla AutoCAD format.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost