Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert RVT and RFA files to DWG to use in MEP

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bhabdi
8054 Views, 5 Replies

Convert RVT and RFA files to DWG to use in MEP

I Only have AutoCad MEP 2011 and I want to use HVAC equipmens (rvt and rfa files) on manufacturer websites. But I can not convert them to DWG to use in MEP.

How is it possible without buying REVIT only for a simple conversion?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: bhabdi

I believe that the only way to currently open a .rfa file is using Revit.  Which would mean converting it without Revit would be impossible.

Message 3 of 6
temporp

Until MEP manufactures realize that most MEP engineers do not use Revit and that their products are not being specked because of it they are still going to listen to AutoCAD and produce their content in the Revit platform.  They don’t realize that it’s just AutoCAD trying to get the industry to change to Revit (and make everyone have to purchase new software and change the way they have been doing business). 

There are manufacture’s still producing content in the AutoCAD platform and that’s what we speck.  A typical case is TOTO plumbing fixtures.  Great product, the maintenance department at our plant would prefer them but we use MEP here so Kohler plumbing fixtures are specked on all our projects. 

Message 4 of 6
jcleghorn

A rather quick fix is downloading the 30 day Demo Revit and converting the revit files you need into DWG. 

Message 5 of 6
temporp

Yes downloading a REVIT copy for 30 days may seem like an option but where I work it would take a while for the IT department to install it.  Then after the 30 days I would be out of luck.  I do a lot of design and drawing I have been using MEP since the Building System 3 version.  What kills me is the fact that AutoCAD is trying to force people into a system that they do not want to use.  To them loyalty is a one way street.

Message 6 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: temporp

Well to be honest, a lot of the products that I download for revit from manufacturers is incorrect.  I prefer to build stuff myself from scratch.  That way I know that it is correct or at least I have no one to blame but myself.  Creating the geometry for a part is the least time consuming portion of the creation process anyway.  Usually placing connectors or attaching intelligent information takes alot longer than creating the geometry.

I really don't think that Autodesk is pushing revit down anyone's throat in the MEP industry.  Revit MEP is severely lacking as a fabrication program and Autodesk knows it.  Most contractors/engineers that I speak to cannot stand using Revit MEP and the ONLY reason that they end up using it is because the architect/owner demands it.  I do believe that this is changing and Autodesk is making a push to make Revit MEP a viable solution for contractors but it is still a few years away.  In the meantime, Autocad MEP is definately a stand alone program and an industry leader in its field and I believe it will still be around in years to come.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost