Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classification definitions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Tom_Eitelbach
555 Views, 4 Replies

Classification definitions

Somehow three of the default classifacitions must have got coppied in a drawing. It created Device type (2),  IFCmep type classification (2) and Device type (2). I would like to get rid of them. I cannot purge or delete them, and as far as I know they are not assigned to any objects.

How do I get rid of them?

Style Maneger Classifications 2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pothied
in reply to: Tom_Eitelbach

If they are not being used, you can right click on the ones that you want to get rid of and select Purge or select the heading and pick Purge Styles from the top of the dialog. If they are being used, then you will not be able to purge them until you find where they are used and remove them. I don't think that there is an easy way to find where they are being used however. 

David Pothier

Message 3 of 5
Keith.Brown
in reply to: pothied

Hi pothield,  (I always read that as PotHead) Smiley Very Happy

I think the issue is that it has a lock symbol on it which means that it cannot be purged from the drawing at all.  I believe that once it is in a drawing that you will have to either resort to custom programming to remove it or start over with your template.  At least I have never had luck in this situation with removing locked classifications.

I believe that you get the double classifications or double property sets etc, when you copy/clip an object from another drawing into your current drawing and the styles have the same name but different content.  You can fix this by copying the styles over before you copy/clip the objects.  Once copied over I as i mentioned above, I am not sure how to unlock the classification because it was a duplicate of a system classification which as far as I am aware you cannot unluck.  i.e. the program needs it to run properly. 

Message 4 of 5
Tom_Eitelbach
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Keith, Thanks for the explanation of how it may have happened so I can try to avoid it happening again.

I noticed it after I created a temporary schedule, so I could go through the schedule and fix things that might not be right. I filtered the classifications to get a more specific schedule. I thought that was when they got duplicated. They are definetly attached to all my device styles now, and I can't remove them.

I had been copy the styles from one drawing in this project to another in the style manager and then useing the <current drawing> as the drawing file to pull the devices in as I add them. I checked "Tom's device style" drawing (my custom devices) and they do not have the double classifications, so I am still good there. I guess it is time to make a custom tool pallet. my current one is pretty bare.

Thanks Pothied, for taking the time to reply. I wish you could tell me a way to un-attach the classifications from my devices. The reason they are there is to controll the visibility of objects through the display manager. I have been copying the sets in the display manager because of a few tweeks and added display reps. that could also be a place where it went wrong. I will have to check there.

I was also thinking of trying a drawing standard file  and sycronizing it that way. maybe that would take care of the douplicates? It may just give me one more drawing to manage all the settings in and waste more of my time!!

Message 5 of 5
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Tom_Eitelbach

You can "remove" them from your device styles by changing what they apply to.  The style will still be in your drawing but at least it will not show up on your devices.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost