Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Tray and Conduit

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ElMarote
609 Views, 5 Replies

Cable Tray and Conduit

Hi everydoby! I need someone help because I can't asignate wires to a cable tray nor a conduit pipe block.

I've inserted the panel, the equipment, also I've draw the cable tray, but when I try to conect everything with a wire it doesn't work at all. I need to asignate a tag to the wire and link it with the piece of cable tray or the conduit pipe.

Any help will be deeply thanked.

Sorry if there's some misspelling in the writing.

Best regards.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
gregg.stanley
in reply to: ElMarote

At this time Cable Tray and Conduit do not support the connect of wires to them. We are aware of this issue.

Thank you,

Gregg Stanley
AutoCAD MEP QA

Gregg Stanley
QA Analyst
AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
RedMan77

Mr. Stanley,
Is this ever going to happen in a future release of MEP? In Revit MEP there isnt even the ability to draw electrical conduit much less assigning circuits to cable tray so I use AutoCAD MEP as best I can. I cant use plumbing pipes as electrical in Revit because outside dimensions are different. Noticing the lack of tutorials, lack of material on the net, & very few reseller classes in AutoCAD MEP scheduled, it is pretty easy to see that Autodesk has no intention of making these changes. If they have I havent seen it even from the classes that were offered at this years AU. There were a couple but not much. Is that a fair assessment? Edited by: robertmccarty1542 on Feb 23, 2009 11:19 AM
Message 4 of 6
tobysmith

Autodesk is a publicly-traded company and because of this, we're prohibited by Federal law from commenting on planned future functionality as people may try to base future purchase decisions on "planned" items. With that being said, I can say, "No, your message was not a fair assessment."

The features we choose (or not choose) to focus on for a particular release are dictated largely by customer request and feedback. We do quite a bit of customer interviews and surveys as well as monitoring the discussion forums. Many people are not also not aware the planning cycle for a release is generally 1-2 years ahead of the actual product release. While the features of the next release are not yet "set in stone" there may or may not be much leeway to focus on the "hot topic" of discussion.

My background is in the Electrical discipline (I spent nine years working at a couple of different MEP firms before joining Autodesk) and I can tell you there is work needed to be done for conduits and cable tray in the future. Sorry I cannot provide more a definitive timeframe but market requirements shift on a constant basis. As more users request improved functionality in this area, you can be sure it will rise to the top of the priority list.

Hope that helps,

Toby Smith, PE, LEED AP
AutoCAD MEP Product Manager
Message 5 of 6
davestankus

This same question and Autodesk response has carried on at least since 2004 MEP.
We have an electrical program that can't-refuses-to draw conduit correctly.
Why should anyone subscribe?
Dave Stankus
Message 6 of 6
RedMan77

I agree with this issue since 2004. I understand part of what what was said by the Autodesk folks. What I vehmently disagee with is that the features included in the program are driven by customer demands. I beleive that is true of vanilla Autocad but not the verticals. Their always seems to be features that no firm would implement yet ones needed are excluded. Drawing conduit properly is huge and I have seen people clammoring for this yet nothing has been done. Hopefully it will be in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost