Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block / Object Properties

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
219 Views, 3 Replies

Block / Object Properties

We are migrating to ABS 2004 and I have run into an issue with trying to create block symbols that have different colours assigned to entities within the block itself. The block definition looks fine but when I insert the symbol all of the block entities appear the identical. Secondly we have several symbols that have text as part of the block. In R14 we used attributes with constants to accomplish this. How can we create these same symbols in ABS 2004? Thanks in advance for your help.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Rick - The operations of blocks themselves don't change in ABS. If you are creating devices, schematic symbols or MvParts the behavior will be different, so we probably need some information on what you are trying to accomplish and what you are using to accomplish it (there are some tricks to get stuff to display differently) If the text inside the block was constant then why use attributes? Why not just use text? As I'm sure you've found, attributes inside view blocks aren't supported by ABS, but if the information is constant you can use blocks made of text. If the information is not constant, you can use tags. jason "Rick Laur" wrote in message news:3fe2f269_5@statler... > We are migrating to ABS 2004 and I have run into an issue with trying to > create block symbols that have different colours assigned to entities within > the block itself. The block definition looks fine but when I insert the > symbol all of the block entities appear the identical. Secondly we have > several symbols that have text as part of the block. In R14 we used > attributes with constants to accomplish this. How can we create these same > symbols in ABS 2004? > > Thanks in advance for your help. > >
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Sorry I should have been more clear on our intentions. It is the schematic symbols that I am working with. The only way I have been able to have the block entities retain their properties is to create a nested block within the symbol. As far as the text is concerned, essentially I would like the block to work similarly to the 'add switch' command from the electrical tab. This would allow the text to always be right-reading. If the text is just part of the block there is no control over the rotation of it. Thanks "jason martin [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:3fe2fa55$1_1@statler... > Hi Rick - > > The operations of blocks themselves don't change in ABS. If you are creating > devices, schematic symbols or MvParts the behavior will be different, so we > probably need some information on what you are trying to accomplish and what > you are using to accomplish it (there are some tricks to get stuff to > display differently) > > If the text inside the block was constant then why use attributes? Why not > just use text? As I'm sure you've found, attributes inside view blocks > aren't supported by ABS, but if the information is constant you can use > blocks made of text. If the information is not constant, you can use tags. > > jason > > "Rick Laur" wrote in message > news:3fe2f269_5@statler... > > We are migrating to ABS 2004 and I have run into an issue with trying to > > create block symbols that have different colours assigned to entities > within > > the block itself. The block definition looks fine but when I insert the > > symbol all of the block entities appear the identical. Secondly we have > > several symbols that have text as part of the block. In R14 we used > > attributes with constants to accomplish this. How can we create these same > > symbols in ABS 2004? > > > > Thanks in advance for your help. > > > > > >
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Hi Rick - Nesting the blocks inside the schematic symbol view block definitions is the current work around for controlling the linework inside the view block separately. Unfortunately the schematic symbols don't currently support a "textrotationfixed" flag like the devices do, so you can't have the text remain horizontal. You can kind of use tags for this purpose. There are ways to tag a large number of objects "en mass" rather than tagging them one-by-one? jason "Rick Laur" wrote in message news:3fe6e291$1_1@statler... > Sorry I should have been more clear on our intentions. It is the schematic > symbols that I am working with. The only way I have been able to have the > block entities retain their properties is to create a nested block within > the symbol. > > As far as the text is concerned, essentially I would like the block to work > similarly to the 'add switch' command from the electrical tab. This would > allow the text to always be right-reading. If the text is just part of the > block there is no control over the rotation of it. > > Thanks > > > "jason martin [Autodesk]" wrote in message > news:3fe2fa55$1_1@statler... > > Hi Rick - > > > > The operations of blocks themselves don't change in ABS. If you are > creating > > devices, schematic symbols or MvParts the behavior will be different, so > we > > probably need some information on what you are trying to accomplish and > what > > you are using to accomplish it (there are some tricks to get stuff to > > display differently) > > > > If the text inside the block was constant then why use attributes? Why not > > just use text? As I'm sure you've found, attributes inside view blocks > > aren't supported by ABS, but if the information is constant you can use > > blocks made of text. If the information is not constant, you can use tags. > > > > jason > > > > "Rick Laur" wrote in message > > news:3fe2f269_5@statler... > > > We are migrating to ABS 2004 and I have run into an issue with trying to > > > create block symbols that have different colours assigned to entities > > within > > > the block itself. The block definition looks fine but when I insert the > > > symbol all of the block entities appear the identical. Secondly we have > > > several symbols that have text as part of the block. In R14 we used > > > attributes with constants to accomplish this. How can we create these > same > > > symbols in ABS 2004? > > > > > > Thanks in advance for your help. > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost