Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to show duct components beyond insulation

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mdsonline
736 Views, 2 Replies

Best way to show duct components beyond insulation

I was wondering what the easiest way to make duct components (MVPatrs) the protrude from the duct, such as damper handles/actuators, sample ports, etc... show beyond the insulation.  I'm pretty good with MEP, but have just started using it again, after about 2yrs away.  Our client wants the model & plans to show with insulation (sometimes as much a 6" for the heat exhaust), but it obviously covers up the damper handles, for example, and you are unable to even tell it's there, & turning off the insulation so they show is cheesy & makes it look like something is wrong.

Should I modify the existing mvparts (& any good tutorial on that, out there btw...) or would I be better off creating an MVPart that I can anchor to the damper and/or duct that essentially makes it look like the part is extended beyond the insulation? 

I can't imagine I'm the first person to run across this, how is this problem solved by others?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Keith.Brown
in reply to: mdsonline

You should modify your existing mvparts in my opinion.  You dampers should have a parametric handle length so that they can be adjusted for any size of insulation.

Joshua Benoist has a nice tutorial at Autodesk University on how to create/modify mvparts.

Message 3 of 3
mdsonline
in reply to: Keith.Brown

The thank you VERY much - I should have thought about AU in the first place!  That is exactly what I was lookng for!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost