Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

AutoCAD MEP Mechanical Add-On Application

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
1410 Views, 17 Replies

AutoCAD MEP Mechanical Add-On Application

My team and I have been working on an AutoCAD MEP add on application since ABS 2004, and I am happy to report that the beta version is in it's final stages of development.

Some features include:

- Complete duct catalog built from the ground up based on actual duct manufacturer's catalogs
Transition fittings that offset in any direction
Offset fittings that offset in any direction
Taps with dampers
Inline dampers
Mitered duct
Low loss, conical, and specialty fittings
All fabrication dimensional data included in the Size Name
Parametric roof tops, split systems, fans, inline equipment, and moreā€¦

- Systems Definitions additions
User defined default parts by system and shape
User defined joint lengths and insulation application by system and shape
Autolayout defaults including "Use Takeoff / Use Tee" by system and shape
User defined default data attached by system and shape including:
Single / Double Wall
Material
Water Gauge
Seams (Pittsburgh, Snap Lock, Welded, User Defined...)
Connectors (TDF / TDC, Duct Mate, S&D, Welded, User Defined...)

- Intelligent Part Numbering
Identical parts get the same part number
Part numbers attached to the top of parts for 3D views
Selective numbering
User defined part numbering options
Parts thoroughly sorted before numbering
(Rectangular, Single Wall, Galvanized, 2" WG, Pittsburgh, Duct Mate, 1-1/2" Liner duct will be numbered together in a manner that keeps Fabrication / Installation schedules streamlined and intuitive)

- Automated duct linear / square feet totals

- Automatically insert transition / offset fitting by clicking two duct connectors

- All from the convenience of a fully integrated, multi-tabbed Tool Palette with it's own "Properties" tab for editing the data mentioned above.

In the future we hope to offer Plumbing, Electrical and Metric versions with similar features. I thought I would throw this out there to see what the community thinks. Any comments or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Matt__W
in reply to: Anonymous

I didn't see anything mentioned about ductwork automatically "hiding" or "breaking". That's HUGE in ABS/MEP. Without that, you might as well just draw lines and arcs. Just my $0.02.

Matt W

Matt Wunch
Revit Subject Matter Expert/sUAS Pilot

Twitter | LinkedIn

AU2017 - Code Blue Dr Revit - How to Resuscitate Corrupt Revit Models

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

This application works with all the functionality AMEP already has in place. It was built by AMEP users. The catalog was created with content builder (with a few xml tweaks here and there for added functionality). The systems additions work with the systems defined in style manager. Hidden/broken lines are still there.

Thanks for the reply.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

That is a very nice set of features. I'd be most interested in the
parametric parts, fittings and the auto offset/transition by selecting
two connectors. With that being said, I'd like to go through the full
functionality to see the full potential.

Have you decided how this application will be distributed, the price,
release date, etc.? How will upgrades be handled?

DotNetDude wrote:
> My team and I have been working on an AutoCAD MEP add on application since ABS 2004, and I am happy to report that the beta version is in it's final stages of development.
>
> Some features include:
>
> - Complete duct catalog built from the ground up based on actual duct manufacturer's catalogs
> Transition fittings that offset in any direction
> Offset fittings that offset in any direction
> Taps with dampers
> Inline dampers
> Mitered duct
> Low loss, conical, and specialty fittings
> All fabrication dimensional data included in the Size Name
> Parametric roof tops, split systems, fans, inline equipment, and moreā€¦
>
> - Systems Definitions additions
> User defined default parts by system and shape
> User defined joint lengths and insulation application by system and shape
> Autolayout defaults including "Use Takeoff / Use Tee" by system and shape
> User defined default data attached by system and shape including:
> Single / Double Wall
> Material
> Water Gauge
> Seams (Pittsburgh, Snap Lock, Welded, User Defined...)
> Connectors (TDF / TDC, Duct Mate, S&D, Welded, User Defined...)
>
> - Intelligent Part Numbering
> Identical parts get the same part number
> Part numbers attached to the top of parts for 3D views
> Selective numbering
> User defined part numbering options
> Parts thoroughly sorted before numbering
> (Rectangular, Single Wall, Galvanized, 2" WG, Pittsburgh, Duct Mate, 1-1/2" Liner duct will be numbered together in a manner that keeps Fabrication / Installation schedules streamlined and intuitive)
>
> - Automated duct linear / square feet totals
>
> - Automatically insert transition / offset fitting by clicking two duct connectors
>
> - All from the convenience of a fully integrated, multi-tabbed Tool Palette with it's own "Properties" tab for editing the data mentioned above.
>
> In the future we hope to offer Plumbing, Electrical and Metric versions with similar features. I thought I would throw this out there to see what the community thinks. Any comments or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

We hope to make a demo available for download before 2008. Most of the catalog will most likely be free. (The really cool parametric parts will be included in the full version.)
This is a relatively small application so installation will be quick, painless, and the price will be very reasonable.
Message 6 of 18
dtiemeyer

How about a website or maybe an AVI of this thing in action?
My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 7 of 18
scrupul0us

agreed... show us some eye candy

ill beta test for sure šŸ˜‰
Message 8 of 18
bbiad05

I would definitely be interested in this add-on, especially the auto transition feature. Please keep people updated on when this will be available and how to download it.
Message 9 of 18
BHashman

1) How about including the Harrison Publishing price code into the catalogs of objects?
http://www.hphguide.com/

There are two main sources for automated pricing of materials in the US-MEP world. The UPC or the Harrison Publishing price code. UPC is a political football where vendors will change their code just to throw off the competition. The Harrison price code has not changed on 1.3 million line items in over 30 years. It is very stable and usable to extract pricing of materials from objects. And the vendor can be easily switched by changing just a part of the code for almost all comparable fittings.

I don't work for Harrison but use their products in our estimating and cad programs. I have used UPC codes in the past and they are a real pain. Thus if they would give you permission, they would be valuable asset to have in the schedule and catalog output. They even have generic codes for common piping/electrical components.

2) Are you participating in the Beta program for MEP? In the past discussions there about what others had developed at least got some air time that in a future release their hard work would not be destroyed. Like the hard work that was done by Profox in 2006.
http://www.profox.com/english/index.html
check out their video on the pipe modeling and spool sheets near the bottom of the page.

3) seriously consider an ADN membership if you don't already have one.
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

DotNetDude,

I would *definitely* be interested in seeing a demo of this when it becomes available as well. Actually, I have been looking for a MEP solution for some time that drew exact parts, and I'm excited to see that it is possible using the MEP engine (with customization, of course) to draw those exact parts. Please keep me posted!

Feel free to contact me at sscooter1010@gmail.com

Thanks!
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

Ditto...in the mean time, is anyone willing to put together a parametric rectangular duct take-off based on the parameters indicated in the attached file for a newbie?
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

This add-on sounds great, any and all further information you could provide would be awesome. A website or beta list?
Message 13 of 18
moon47usaco

So its getting near a year since this was originally posted...

What is the status of the project... ??
Message 14 of 18
mikeyspeed

It is now 2 years and it looks like this died. Too bad, these are the very things I have been asking autodesk to incorporate for years.
Message 15 of 18
RibbonHater

There have been many attempts to make this a detailing software, it's just to dam hard to create the parts!!!! It is more practical to create accurate parts with solids e.g. cad pipe, cad duct, practiCAD etc. We still use it for pipe, but we gave up on MEP for fast accurate duct detailing........
Message 16 of 18
Micaletti

Yes it has been a long time. A public version for AMEP 2010 has been completely rewritten and will be ready before the year is over.

Steven Micaletti
Virtual Mechanical
Design Build Software & Content For AutoCAD MEP
Message 17 of 18
tetna

Everyone,
My name is Todd Etna and I am the Regional Account Manager for EastCoast CAD/CAM. EastCoast is Autodesk's Premier Industry Partner and we were selected by Autodesk to exclusively provide contractor specific parts and funtionality in the MEP product line (AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP). Our solution 100% embeds in AutoCAD MEP. We are not a 3rd party add-on; therefore all of our drawing tools, editting tools and objects are native AutoCAD. Our company has developed this solution in partnership with Autodesk that fullfills the requirements that most of you have shared in this thread. It is available right now. I would be happy to talk with any of you on the telephone or via e-mail.

Todd Etna
tetna@eccadcam.com
978-338-5697
Message 18 of 18
alan.skipper

Hiya Todd

What about us in the U.K. there doesn't appear to be a "Premier Industry Partner" making U.K.parts.

Why should we need to spend more money on an Industry Partner programme when Autodesk sell MEP as having thousands of parts included? (because none of them are any good).

Skipper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost